Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatboy solid wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fatboy solid wheels?

I got to ask this.How do you guys feel about the solid wheels riding in the wind.I get on the turnpike and sometimes it kicks my@%#&.Do you just get used to it?Granted i've gotten a little used to it,but still dont like it much.Hope it gets better.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:08 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: fatboy solid wheels?

I have the solid wheels, and get asked about this often. To tell you the truth, I don't know if I am just used to it or what, but it really doesn't bother me a whole heck of a lot. I find my windshield catches the wind more than my wheels, and if I have luggage piled on, well then, that goes without saying. I do notice, though, it makes a hugh difference when I take my windshield off (I have a quick detach). As far as the wheels...No I don't find them bothersome.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:43 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode with the 21" laced wheel on my night train for 6, 000 miles and then switched to a blacked out fatboy wheel back in January. I've put almost 3,000 miles on the fatboy wheel and can say that there is a slight difference, but not much. I think you'll get used to it.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Phat03
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had an issue with the solid rims on my Fatboy, routinely ride over a mile long mainspan which crosses great south bay on Long Island, plenty of wind. Many other riders ask same question, I just don't seem to feel a difference, maybe it's just me. LOL

Old 03-23-2006, 08:01 PM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had an issue with the solid rims on my Fatboy, routinely ride over a mile long mainspan which crosses great south bay on Long Island, plenty of wind. Many other riders ask same question, I just don't seem to feel a difference, maybe it's just me. LOL
Same thing here...never had a problem.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:27 PM
KY REBEL
Cruiser

Never had an issue with the disc's just wanted something different.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Boatman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick-All of the above riders are a lot better than me. I thought that cross winds and meeting oncoming school buses on 2 lane roads pushed my FB around quite a bit. I kept watching Ebay and found a brand new Heritage front laced wheel with tire (take off), put it on and haven't looked back. It is the best thing I have done for me and my FB. If you do a search, you will find others that agree. I'm not discounting the above riders a bit, I take my hat off to them that they don't have a problem with the solid front wheels. I honestly believe it's why you see so many used FB's for sale with less than 2,000 miles.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Advanced

I've never noticed any difference between my Fatboy's solid wheels and the "open" wheels of the three bikes I had before it, or the spoke wheel's on my ex's Deluxe.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 PM
SDozier
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here. 1996 Fatboy; Does not seem to bother me.

'54

Old 03-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can feel it in a very strong crosswind, but I don't have much of a frame of reference.. The first bike was an old heritage with fatboy wheels, and the new/current one is a fatboy.. but I'll honestly say I do feel the crosswinds at speed.. Like the bike is being blown out from under me a little.. It's a bit unnerving, but you get used it I guess.. Feels like it's more abrupt with the front tire. Not worth the loss of the cool wheels to me though.. I'll keep 'em.. maybe chrome 'em.

Quick Reply: fatboy solid wheels?