Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped the dang bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008 | 08:57 PM
riden2low
Tourer

yep, same here. Just a couple of times but enough to **** you off big time.

Old 09-01-2008 | 08:59 PM
murd
Road Warrior

I won't go into how daft I felt when I slammed my bike into the pavement turning into my street. $260 replacement crash guard and a wicked sore rib. I'll never do that again.
I sure appreciated the support I got from the good folks in this forum. Made me feel like I was not the only one that messes up.

Old 09-01-2008 | 08:59 PM
SoftTailTim71
Tourer

Originally Posted by RockerMike
Happens to everyone sooner or later. Good excuse for some new parts.
Damn, you guys are scaring the chit outta me..., I never dropped my sporty in 9 years and I've never dropped my softail.

Am I overdue?!?

Old 09-01-2008 | 09:05 PM
letacur
Cruiser

My DH (Dear Husband) dropped his twice, once with me on it, he was in a stopped position and on a slight slant and for some reason it went down to the right. We both had to put our backs in to it to pick it back up...no damage that time...the second time was very much like you describe happened to you.
As of yet, knock on wood!! I haven't dropped mine... came real close a few times though.

Old 09-01-2008 | 09:08 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoftTailTim71
Damn, you guys are scaring the chit outta me..., I never dropped my sporty in 9 years and I've never dropped my softail.

Am I overdue?!?

You are way overdue. I never dropped any of my metrics. It will happen when you least expect it. (Embarrassing moment here). One of my road trips we stopped at a motel, unloaded the bikes and was going to go to a restaurant for supper. Hopped on bike, lifted the jiffy stand, and noticed I did not close one of my saddle bags. Leaned the bike back over to sit it on the stand and forgot I had already put it up. Could not get my left foot out far enough to catch it. Went right on over on my foot. The guys had to wait while I turned my hand controls back in position. SHHHHHHHHH. Don't tell anyone.

Old 09-01-2008 | 09:18 PM
SoftTailTim71
Tourer

Well, if it helps, I only park my bike in neutral if the ground slopes downwards towards my rear tire. If I park on level ground (or slight downslope towards the front)..., I leave it in 1st gear.

I also rarely stand beside the bike and push it from the bars. I wash my bike in the grass as I have shade there..., but I put a sheet of plywood under the jiffy stand when I do (over the grass).

Some guys I ride with ask why I park in gear, but I notice alot of riders park, hop off the bike, and the bike starts to lean forward..., I just don't trust those jiffy stands too much.

Old 09-01-2008 | 09:42 PM
utexasrider
Tourer

it didn't happen if nobody saw you drop it.

Old 09-01-2008 | 10:51 PM
FUEGO
Banned

Man! I just got my first bike a couple months ago (Rocker custom) and you guys are scaring the **** out of me. Hope I don't f@#$ up.

Old 09-02-2008 | 07:27 AM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

I was so worried about my wife parking her new Harley at a restaraunt that I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. As I was backing up, my front tire dropped over a 2" ledge in the pavement and I slowly tipped to the left. I was able to get my foot out to the side and had to gently lower it to the pavement. No damage to the bike, just a bruised ego.

Old 09-02-2008 | 08:12 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member

Happened to me with my old Dyna. Fortunately not with my new bike yet. Try carrying a flattened aluminum beer can with you. Put it under the kickstand when you park on gravel or grass. Doesn't take much space to carry it and it works very well at keeping your ride from sinking into the earth.

Quick Reply: Dropped the dang bike