Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a new six speed transmission in a 2002

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
jaycoxt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Install Update!

Well, here is an update. I bought a tool for the main drive gear to help me get it out. Simple tool, but the best money I've ever spent. I finally got time this weekend to work on it. Once I got the main 5th Gear out and the new one in, everything else just fell into place...Very Very nice...No grinding....One thing to think about is replacing all of your seals depending on the milage you have on your bike. I replaced my drive belt too.

Anyway, the transmission is in! Now, I need some advice on putting the clutch and chain drive back on...I got it off ok, but putting it back on is a bear. It's like I need another 1/8th inch. Has anyone done it? Do I need to remove the drive sprocket on the engine?

Thanks for your advice.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 AM
jaycoxt
6th Gear

Hey, I figured out the chain thing. Just need a to use my big wrench to turn the engine and roll the chain on...tight, but not hard. I've only got small things to put back together now. I expect another couple hours. I'm going to do some cleaning in places you can't normally get to. Then,...I ride! I'll post the results of the test ride. So far though, just the job is really not that hard...like I was told...but it does take a long time. I was not told about the special tools that might be needed....probably a real mechanic wouldn't need them. I lend a big thanks to esyrdgcwby above who posted some links to some good tools. I didn't buy but one. That's was all I really needed though. The trans seems to fit well. No filing or grinding. We'll see how she runs.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:16 AM
billfitt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear your making progress. It's funny I was thinking on asking for an update yesterday. Hope you get a chance to put some miles down and enjoy the result of all of your hard work!

bill

Old 09-14-2008, 04:25 PM
ajaugust
Cruiser

I have a good friend with 2002 Fatboy. I know he will be interested in your feed back on how it rides. Keep us posted!
Thanks,

Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

how'd it go? Where'd you get the gearset?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:07 PM
jaycoxt
6th Gear

The RevTech six speed works like a champ! I just got done with a 50 mile road test. You know how you just wish there was one more gear at highway speeds?.....Well, it's there! Very nice. no Whine, no grinding, no leaks; it all fit nicely. I bought the press tools which was a big help, but with a little ingenuity, you don't need them, but I recommend at least the fifth gear main tools. Ebay has them at a good buy-it-now price. Think about replacing your seals…there are four or five. They are cheep and easy to replace.

I know I said to buy the pre-assembled trans to save time, but in hind sight, it’s not worth the extra money…The HD difference is about $1k. The majority of the work would be the same no matter if you went with a gear set or a full trans. You just wouldn’t have to mess with pressing in out gears and bearings with a full pre-assembled trans.

To have this job done, it is a minimum of 10 hours at an average of $60.00 per hour, no matter which way you went. There is just a lot to tear down and re-assemble. The hardest part is removing the oil tank. That’s the pain of the soft tail.
It took me about 14 hours with my learning curve. However, in all, I think is worth it because I plan to keep my bike for a while and the six speed trans will take some load off of the engine. It may save fuel too…who would have thought that fuel savings on a motorcycle would have ever been an issue…

The Revtech trans is Korean Made, but it seems to be well made...

Thanks for everyone’s support. If anything pops up as an issue, I’ll be sure to post it.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
billfitt
Cruiser

Thanks for the good news! I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm really sold on the idea of getting the sixth gear in my fatboy. I have most of the tools needed so I may go for it over the winter.
Congrats my friend and I hope you get to enjoy your handy work for years!

bill

Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 PM
jaycoxt
6th Gear

One other update for the group. The speedometer is an issue. You have to get it calibrated because it is about 20MPH off...I think the solution is a RevTech Calibration Unit from Custom Chrome. Part #58-318.

Everything is still working great!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
strippedthread1
Advanced

I recently did the same thing, I installed the Baker DD6, it is awesome. The previous posts are correct, you do need the special tools. The speedo calibration kit is made by Dakota Digital. After I finished assembly, I took the bike down to the local dyno guy, he charged me $20 to set the speedo off the dyno. Now, the speedo is on the money.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Gotta tell you guys, yer gonna love the 6 speed. I have it on my 2002 Heritage along with a decent 103 CI build that gives me 105HP and 107TQ. I have also owned a 2006 Dyna Super Glide and a 2007 EG Classic with the new 6 speed. I like the older one better. I can shift into 6th around 60mph and still have good power. Been looking at a 2009 Street Glide but I really love the drive train on my Heritage.

Quick Reply: Installing a new six speed transmission in a 2002