Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control on Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option a few people here have mentioned in the past is this:
http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

I picked one up and it's works out pretty well, It's a bit expensive for what it is, but being set up so that pulling the brake lever disengages the lock is very convenient and makes me feel that it's a little bit of a safer option.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Vinny133
Cruiser

I'm gettin one!

Old 08-29-2008, 02:10 AM
SoftTailTim71
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shoulda tranfered my grips & controls from my sporty to my softail.

My sporty throttle (after I put aftermarket grips on it), was very easy to use, but if you set it just right, it would stick on in whatever position I wanted it to. Never touched the throttle lock on that one. It was actually one of my favorite things about that bike. I could ride in cold weather and take turns putting my hands on the engine heads to warm up in the city..., or warm both hands on the highway.

Last edited by SoftTailTim71; 08-29-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:13 AM
SoftTailTim71
Tourer

EDIT: Strange, double post.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:16 AM
C. Harper
Club Member

The cruise control unit and the handlebar controls are all factory HD as well as the cables. They make up the wiring harness & supply directions for installation. I had to refer to the service manual quiet often especially when installing the connectors in the wiring harness. You WILL need a service manual.. You will have to make several (4 or 5) splices into the wiring harness, install supplied pins in the Deutsch & Packard connectors as well as the fuse box. That part was a little tricky for me. The fuel tank, rear wheel & rear inner fender have to be removed for the install but their directions are fairly easy to follow. I am not a mechanic but I was able to perform myself. The unit mounts in front of the rear inner fender & the cable runs along the frame then up to the throttle body. The connection at the throttle body is already there you just have to snap it in place. Just make sure the rear wheel is properly aligned when reinstalling. The speedometer on the 06 Heritage is the same as on the Road Kings & you splice into the wiring harness. The "cruise on/set" light in the Heritage is already there (lower left of speedometer) & works just like a factory install. A good mechanic could probably install in 4 to 6 hours but it took me somewhere over 20. I did it this past winter so I had plenty of time.

Their web site is www.customizedcycles.com

I had to contact Dale at (612) 889-6574 with a couple of questions & he was very helpfull.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:46 AM
MasterGun
Intermediate
Default Try this one.

Try this. I have it on my bike and love it!!!

http://throttlelocklever.com/

Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 AM
FXDSE2
Cruiser
Default Throttle tender by Bareboot *******

For $10 and $1.50 shipping on Ebay you can get the Throttle Tender by Barefoot Willie, it installs in about 5 seconds, 8 if you don't know what you are doing...really that easy. It snaps over the star-shapped throttle tender which comes on the Softail at the base of the throttle, nothing has to be retapped or rethreaded and uses what is originally in place.This product is for use on Harley Davidsons 1982 and later only. NOTE: This will not work on the 2008 Harley touring models with the electronic wire throttle. You must have a thumb screw under your throttle. I have the Throrrke Tender on my bikes...it is plastic not metal but works 100%.

FXDSE2

Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control on Softail?-11111.jpg  
Old 08-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C. Harper
The cruise control unit and the handlebar controls are all factory HD as well as the cables. They make up the wiring harness & supply directions for installation. I had to refer to the service manual quiet often especially when installing the connectors in the wiring harness. You WILL need a service manual.. You will have to make several (4 or 5) splices into the wiring harness, install supplied pins in the Deutsch & Packard connectors as well as the fuse box. That part was a little tricky for me. The fuel tank, rear wheel & rear inner fender have to be removed for the install but their directions are fairly easy to follow. I am not a mechanic but I was able to perform myself. The unit mounts in front of the rear inner fender & the cable runs along the frame then up to the throttle body. The connection at the throttle body is already there you just have to snap it in place. Just make sure the rear wheel is properly aligned when reinstalling. The speedometer on the 06 Heritage is the same as on the Road Kings & you splice into the wiring harness. The "cruise on/set" light in the Heritage is already there (lower left of speedometer) & works just like a factory install. A good mechanic could probably install in 4 to 6 hours but it took me somewhere over 20. I did it this past winter so I had plenty of time.

Their web site is www.customizedcycles.com

I had to contact Dale at (612) 889-6574 with a couple of questions & he was very helpfull.
Thanks for the note. Is that of HD North Texas? The guys in that shop were terrific to deal with. Do you have any pictures of the set up? Does it work with internal wiring? So many questions. I've an email to the address link you gave as well. Big job to set up though!

Neil

Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Bugger
Cruiser
Default Softail cruise control

Toolguy, check this out:

http://www.cruisemount.com/index.html