Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Standard - Good Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 02:03 PM
MotoMuse
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Standard - Good Choice?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and am considering making the switch to a softail (currently ride a BMW 1150GS). I'm not in a position to buy a new one, so I'll be looking at used, if I ultimately choose to go Harley. Can anyone offer advice on things to watch for when checking out used softails? Also, any pros and cons about the softail would be appreciated: What do you love about them? Any bugs and concerns?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: Softail Standard - Good Choice?

I think that really whatever scoot you like will end up being a good choice. I got an 05' nightrain last year and it's basically the same as the standard, and I've never had any issues. I don't imagine you would have too many issues with anything thats at least been built in the last 20 years or so. EFI is nice, but that's a matter of opinion. If cost is a big deal there's some pretty nice superglides for a few grand less than the softail. You get the same 88 motor for a few grand less. only diff. is that the softail has the hidden rear shocks and counterbalancers in the motor. anyways, have fun lookin man.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 PM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser

Motomuse<
I have had a bunch of BMW's over the years, roadsters and currently a 1200GS (which I love), and am loving the Harley experience, as well. Mine is a Softail Deluxe, but I have loved the Softail Standard I have ridden, too. I liked that a lot more than the '06 Dynas I have test ridden.

As you already know, it is a totally different "thing" than the BMW riding experience and certainly the antithesis of the GS experience. But it is all great.

Bones

Old 03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
MotoMuse
1st Gear

Thanks Imboden. Yeah, the nightrain is sweet. I checked out a friend of a friend's '05 a couple weeks back. I could definitely go that route.

Bones, the GS is a great bike - you're stoked on the 1200, I'm sure. Having never spent much time on a Harley I'm headed into unknown waters, so it's helpful to hear how much people love them. I rode my bro's '01 Dyna Super glide Sport awhile back and was pleasantly surprized by the experience. I'm just looking for something with a little more attitude than the GS (I've come to the right place, eh?). I had a Ducati before the BMW and loved the growly attitude of that bike, and may still go back to a Duc. So far the focus of my riding has been dancing through the twisties, but I'm a pretty laid back dude, so the thought of chillin' on a Harley is appealing.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:48 PM
jackhammer
Tourer

I have an 01 standard, I was shooting for a bagger but my wife said I was to young and they looked like honda goldwings ( what do SOME women know). Anyway I took the standard because I knew I would change this, that and the other thing, also I travel once a year on a long ride (this year Alaska) and the rest of the time its city riding so this is a good choice for me and does the job all around. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 PM
DFTL20
Cruiser

Motomuse:
I have an 05 Standard (my first harley) and found it to be a perfect starter bike. I have friends that started on 883 and sporty but were at the dealership 6 months later trading in for softails. The ride is very smooth and I have had a ton of fun adding chrome touches and new exhaust. The only feedback I would like to share is once you join the family you find yourself at the dealership dropping the credit card on a regular basis. Having a Harley is not a cheap toy. Have fun.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 AM
JeffD
Tourer

I like my Standard, but wish i would have bought a Night Train for the black motor...

Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 AM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jackhammer, that's a sweet scoot you've got there. Nice job.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:20 AM
jackhammer
Tourer

Thx Haksaw. Its not all that fancy but I like it.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:44 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Shoot Jackhammer, that's a nice ride. I kinda like the semi fatboy semi Bobber look. Looks killer. Goo0d job.

Quick Reply: Softail Standard - Good Choice?