Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Forum - Running pooley - Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
vping
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stored in an unheated garage but I did try and start it from time to time. Last winter was not that bad and even though I have not been on in two years I did start it or at least try and start it at least once a month.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

First I would make dam sure the fuel is clean and fresh. pull the tank off and use a IV type fuel tank set up. If you dont have one of those, just make sure you flush out the tank very well, and clean out or replace the fuel filter. Then pull the carb back off. Remove each jet and hold it up to the light. You should be able to see through it and the hole should be round. If not get some carb cleaner and soak them then blow them out with compressed air. Make sure the air cleaner is either new OEM, or a clean K&N type. Re install the OEM stock spark plug wires. With a brand new stock plug install it into the plug boot and lay it against the cylinder and crank it over to check for spark on both plugs. Then before you install the plugs, do a quick compression test.
***How was the bike running when you put it away?***
Are you 100% sure the battery is in good shape?
Did you drain the fuel before you put it away?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 PM
vping
Intermediate

Bike did not have any gas in it and I always hook it up to a battery tender after I ride it. Bike was sneezing/hiccuping before I tore it down to replace the gaskets then winter came, then I injured my knee, surgery put it back together and started with these problems. The bike was rideable with the sneezing but it would really freak me out when I rolled onto the throttle while into a heavy turn like and entrance ramp. It would stand the bike up a bit and I did not like that. Driving straight is ok when it sneezes but curves are nicer.