Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley's parts distribution system so lame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008 | 06:27 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by atomic
Man this sounds like the worst whining ever. You have to wait 7 days for a part? Big freaking deal. I had to wait 4 months for a rear brake light on my Ducati. I am always amazed how quickly you can get just about any part for your Harley.
I hear ya'... but where is your Ducati made?... How many Ducatis are on the road as compared to H-D...?

Let me ask this... if your H-D was your only transportation.... How much more ridiculous would 7 to 10 days sound...

Harley - Davidson gets away with it because most of their customers or weekend riders... Guess they feel that because of this, because its not their only transportation 7 to 10 days is not unreasonable... WTF?... I am still making the freakin payments every month...

Freakin tins... Got my brand new Bones and the freakin gas tank was leaking.... went to the dealership and they ordered me a new one... I've been waiting five weeks for a new tank... Five phucking weeks... I haven't had the bike but for seven weeks... I can put two and a half gallons of gas in the tank without it leaking... and thats how I have been riding it....

Think about it... if it was any worse... this freakin brand new bike would have been down for over five of the seven weeks I've owned it... for a freakin gas tank!

I didn't buy this bike to just look at...

Vent over... for now!...

Charlie D.

Old 08-23-2008 | 07:43 AM
radionightster
|
Banned

Originally Posted by dbleagle
I hear ya'... but where is your Ducati made?... How many Ducatis are on the road as compared to H-D...?
Yup! This is exactly my point. With so many HD dealerships, parts should never be more than 3 days away. And with the volume of parts, they need to figure out quicker shipping mechanisms. They should hire Amazon.com as a expert consult on shipping logistics, because Amazon is amazing when it comes to that stuff.

Old 06-07-2021 | 01:21 PM
Hoppergrass
Intermediate
Default Growing hair waiting!

Motorcycle mechanic saying the same thing. Need a part for my '06 six-speed transmission. Wondering why my bike is not fixed yet. Part was ordered May 22nd. June 5th mark 2 weeks, and the part is still not in. 😡

Old 06-07-2021 | 01:25 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

The world as we know it is going to hell in a hand basket that's why...

Old 06-07-2021 | 01:27 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master

My local dealer has sales every week for parts accessories shoes jackets cleaning stuff oil whatever

. Shitty thing is anything you want they don’t carry out of stock.

Old 06-07-2021 | 05:30 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by drkenigma1
This what I was told by a dealer in Vacaville, CA. I really don't want to put their business out there but this is the skinny....

If you order it form them and have them install it, it'll be there in a couple of days

If you order it and DIY 7-10 or more

What a racket!!!

I find that true in the 4 stealers I went to
It used to be that Harley dealer part depts put their
Sp-Ord parts on the weekly stock order to get
the extra discount (kick back)
I'm sure they do something similar now.

If they are willing to put it on the daily order it's 2-3 days

Last edited by byersmtrco; 06-07-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added
Old 06-07-2021 | 07:28 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CrawdadAZ
OK, hold on........ (looking up "ubiquitous"). Ahhhh..... Being in the Phoenix area, there are a half dozen dealerships with 3 of them close enough for me to drive to. Usually when I'm ready to buy an accessory, I want it NOW! So I drive to each location (with my list in hand) hoping I can bring it/them home with me. Works most of the time. If I have to order, I do that at the closest one and it's usually 3-4 days. Then they say they will call when it comes in....... they never do. So I head over and ask if it's there and it always is. Don't know when they were planning to call.
You'd think that with all the dealerships in the Phoenix area you could build a new HD from scratch by going on a scavenger hunt.

I don't even bother and go right to the internet and wait for the parts to arrive. Figure you're down for a while. You're literally better off having a spare bike if you have the urgency to ride.