Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley's parts distribution system so lame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008 | 02:12 PM
extech
Road Master

7-10 days?
I'm is So.Fla and it usually takes 5 days tops if it's in stock in Milwaukee.
theyre probably just CYA

Old 08-22-2008 | 05:31 PM
Budmiester
Tourer

As I see it, it's not like HD is new to this game. Parts distribution can be a logistcal nightmare, granted. With computerization, you can track parts ordering and forcast what parts are needed at various times of the year, do your projections, and have the buyers placing orders to cover sufficient incoming orders. To reduce capital expenditures warehousing parts, they seem to have adapted whats called a Just In Time approach. Keep as little inventory as possible in the warehouse, and hope like hell your suppliers can fill orders on an As Needed basis. Looks good on paper, (i.e. Bean Counters), but can bite you in the glutes real fast. And whats with one center in Milwaukee? Let me throw this bone out. I'd set up three centers. Eastern, in Pennsylvania. Central, Milwaukee, and Western, Phoenix. Major interstates and railroad service to all those areas. Seems there is enough demand from US riders to justify this kind of set up. 7 to 10 days to get a part is absurd. I'm an aircraft mechanic, I can call France at 3:00 in the afternoon and get a Jet Engine by 7:00 the next morning. Ya, it cost a freakin mint, but the point is, they have the mechanisms in place to do it. I'm not seeing anything close to that from HD. Still, it's the only bike I own, and I love it. Just don't like being in a "Geograhical Oddity" thats 7 to 10 days away from any part I need, no matter where I am. I'll get off my high horse now.

Old 08-22-2008 | 06:57 PM
drkenigma1
Advanced
Angry Pick Pockets

This what I was told by a dealer in Vacaville, CA. I really don't want to put their business out there but this is the skinny....

If you order it form them and have them install it, it'll be there in a couple of days

If you order it and DIY 7-10 or more

What a racket!!!

I find that true in the 4 stealers I went to

Old 08-22-2008 | 07:10 PM
radionightster
|
Banned

Originally Posted by creb
As the customer, I dont care to understand why it sucks, it's still one of the worst retail situations i've experienced from a global brand. It might be a decent way for Corporate and dealerships to work it out, but I feel i'm getting the end of the stick as a result. Corporate should figure out another system since this impression reflects back on them.

HD is lucky people are so in love with their product (like myself) that they endure this.
I'm glad to read this, and this thread, and see that I'm not the only one who feels this way!

Old 08-22-2008 | 07:12 PM
radionightster
|
Banned

Originally Posted by drkenigma1
This what I was told by a dealer in Vacaville, CA. I really don't want to put their business out there but this is the skinny....

If you order it form them and have them install it, it'll be there in a couple of days

If you order it and DIY 7-10 or more

What a racket!!!

I find that true in the 4 stealers I went to
YEP! This is EXACTLY what I experienced. DIY was twice as long (took exactly 14 days ... no excuse with UPS ground being 3-5 days MAX). When the daelership ordered some **** for me, was a little bit quicker. Regardless, it's too expensive. My harley dealership claims to be the oldest in my state, and it shows. It's a complete piece of crap. It only stocks 5 bikes at a time (LOL), and the parts and service is so slow, over a week to get anything even started. Last time I ever go there.

Old 08-22-2008 | 07:37 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Probably because they have to wait for it to arrive from Taiwan. Stop buying their HD aftermarket crap. Why should you pay triple for a similar part with a HD logo on it?
Case in point:
J&P Cycles carries plenty of different style grips, right? I picked up part number 5000105 rubber soft touch grip set with plain chrome end caps for $22.99. On the hook above them were a set that were identical in every way except the packaging, the HD logo on the chrome end cap and the price. The part number for the super special custom badass HD logoed grips? $59.99. They are both made in Taiwan and probably at the very same factory. I don't know if you noticed, but all of the prices at the dealer are way beyond realistic values.
http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetai...0105&cs=Harley

The website does not list the same grip with the HD emblem. they're on page 849 of
JP Cycles big book.

How about going to Wal-mart and paying over $100 for a pair of chinese boots? No? Then why do it at the dealer?

Old 08-22-2008 | 08:46 PM
radionightster
|
Banned

^^ I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm not ordering their aftermarket ****. My bike got wrecked in a tragic accident while no a trailer on the way home from purchasing it (talk about making someone sick to their stomach!)

I'm talking about parts like the console that holds the speedometer, the little inserts, the fuel pump, etc, all stock harley parts, not aftermarket chinese ****!

---

Although, I was at a Harley place today (not the ****ty one in my home city), and I saw all the ***** Skull footpeg stuff I wanted, but I was looking at almost $200 for a set of pegs/brake/clutch pedal, what a ripoff!

Old 08-22-2008 | 09:44 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior

Chicago HD. You wait 7-10 days (if out of stock) and get 20% off. You do pay a little for shipping. If you can't wait, just Ebay or Google it. I'm sure it's out there for you. I just picked up some HD chrome bolts fender bolts. It was $52.00, glad I didn't have to pay for it. (used a gift card).

Old 08-23-2008 | 01:45 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

Man this sounds like the worst whining ever. You have to wait 7 days for a part? Big freaking deal. I had to wait 4 months for a rear brake light on my Ducati. I am always amazed how quickly you can get just about any part for your Harley.

Old 08-23-2008 | 06:24 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by radionightster
^^ I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm not ordering their aftermarket ****. My bike got wrecked in a tragic accident while no a trailer on the way home from purchasing it (talk about making someone sick to their stomach!)

I'm talking about parts like the console that holds the speedometer, the little inserts, the fuel pump, etc, all stock harley parts, not aftermarket chinese ****!

---

Although, I was at a Harley place today (not the ****ty one in my home city), and I saw all the ***** Skull footpeg stuff I wanted, but I was looking at almost $200 for a set of pegs/brake/clutch pedal, what a ripoff!
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully they fet the parts to you as soon as possible. That really sucks.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley's parts distribution system so lame?