Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle jacks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:49 PM
firestarter
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Motorcycle jacks

Wife gave me the Sams goodyear lift (69.95) as an anniversity present. Works great. Got the tip on the gooyear lift from the forum.
So thanks for the tip and the present.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:28 PM
texanharley2005
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jacks are okay but here is a web site where you can gets plans for a table. Much safer and easy to build..
http://www.afabonline.com/table_lift_plans.htm

Old 04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the red Craftsman Jack which I upgraded with Grade 8 bolts- no worries about cheap bolts from China!! The downside to the yellow/silver jack is that there are no hooks to attach tie-downs to if you wanted to secure the bike. Plus, with some Dunwell Jack adapters for the red jack/lift, I can also use it on my Moto Guzzi V11 Sport.

Having used the jack on a number of occasions with both the Guzzi and the Road King, I would recommend it.

Carl

Old 04-03-2006, 02:36 PM
daboys53119
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a lift jack and it works great.

lift jack

Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 AM
warthog
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ckamin

I have the red Craftsman Jack which I upgraded with Grade 8 bolts- no worries about cheap bolts from China!! The downside to the yellow/silver jack is that there are no hooks to attach tie-downs to if you wanted to secure the bike. Plus, with some Dunwell Jack adapters for the red jack/lift, I can also use it on my Moto Guzzi V11 Sport.

Having used the jack on a number of occasions with both the Guzzi and the Road King, I would recommend it.

Carl
the yellow/silver craftsman jack comes with tie downs too. you're supposed to hook them to the axle at the front of the jack and the grab handle around the rear.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:40 AM
RetroHarley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PWHOG This is what I use and its capable of lifting a lot more £90 or $150
IS that bike tied down? Don't see the straps. Is it up for detailing, I'm thinking it's not necessary to tie down for simple detailing.

Thoughts?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM
hogdevil
Novice
Default Clearance is the Key

The best jack to lift your bike is the jack you can get under the frame. If you can't get the lift under the bike then it doesn't matter how much or how little you spent because you can't lift the bike. Read these forums and you will see many messages from guys that bought an economical jack that worked great for dozens of other people only to find out the jack was too high to fit under the bike.

All of the jacks look nearly the same in the pictures on the internet but they have dramatically different resting low heights. The Larin MAL-2C has resting height of 2 1/2 inches. The red Sears Craftsman has a resting height of 5 inches.

Measure from the lowest part on your frame to the floor and get the height from frame to concrete. Look for a jack that is LOWER than this height when the jack is in the lowest position.

Once you have narrowed your candidates to jacks that fit under your bike then read reviews on that jack to get user experience with stability.

I have the red Sears Craftsman. It did fit under my 883 Sportster if I tipped the bike a little. I had to raise my Road King Classic off the kickstand to get the jack under the big bike.

Then I lowered the Road King Classic with the Harley-Davidson lowering kits 54631-02B (rear) and 54514-05 (front) which lowered the frame to 4 1/2 (plus 1/16 if I'm lucky) inches from the floor. The red Sears Craftsman no longer would fit under the bike tipped or not.

The HD lift P/N 94653-98 states the minimum clearance needs to be 4 1/2 inches.

I like the idea of the HD lift because it uses a crank instead of a hydraulic bottle. The crank allows you to lower the bike at a speed of your choosing to safely put the bike back on the ground.

The bottle jacks are somewhat more difficult to control the lowering speed of the bike and I've seen some of the videos on the Internet where the bikes drop pretty quick and the bike abruptly leans to the kickstand side. This seems a little risky to me and the red Sears Craftsman I had behaved the same way.

My bottom line message is to measure the clearance under your frame then find a jack that will get under the bike. Once you have several jacks selected, then understand their stability with the bike on the jack and when lowering the jack. Then make your purchase.

If you bike is lower than 4 1/2 inches then the Larin MAL-2C and perhaps one or two others are your only choice.