Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different length dipsicks for Softail's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 PM
clueless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did my fatboy 2007 standard model (not SE) and it took 2.5 qts. I put in 3 Qts and will have to pull some out tomorrow.... I just drained it warm, pulled the oil filter. put some in the filter and lubed the rubber seal of the filter. put it back and refilled with 3 Qts. my 2007 manual says 3 qts in the svc manual.

well 3 Qts is too much! I put the used oil back in the oil containers and got only 2.2 qts. some was sopped up by the rags when I removed the oil filter so I am guessing it should be about 2.5 qts if I collected it all.... so have to remove about .5 qts... not sure if I will do that out the bottom bolt or sipon from the oil tank directly.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:26 AM
r6danl
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you drain all your oil out there is still 24 to 32 oz (0.75 to 1 quart) remaining in the system. Your manual states that the complete system holds XXX amount of oil. Then you need to subtract what is still remaining in the system and fill accordingly. Follow the link below for a cure to that problem. Hope this helps!

http://www.roguechopper.com/

Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by r6danl
When you drain all your oil out there is still 24 to 32 oz (0.75 to 1 quart) remaining in the system. Your manual states that the complete system holds XXX amount of oil. Then you need to subtract what is still remaining in the system and fill accordingly. Follow the link below for a cure to that problem. Hope this helps!

http://www.roguechopper.com/

That is not how it is stated in my 2005 SE Fat Boy,owner's manual.
The manual states that it is a 4 quart system. It also states that it requires 3-1/2 quarts for an oil and filter change and not to overfill.
On average you should have 1/2 quart left in the system after draining the old oil and removing the filter. That is assuming that the oil change is done properly, with the engine up to operating temperature.
I can see how the amount left in the system can vary by a few ounces, but there should be an obvious explanation why mine is a full quart off.
The oil tanks on the Softails are commonly referred to as a 3-1/2 quart tank. Which really means it holds 3-1/2 quarts when it is filled to the proper level.
I have checked my oil level right before an oil change. It is right up to the full mark. Only
2-1/2 quarts come out of the tank when it has been drained.

In my thinking there are only 3 things that can cause this:
1) Dipstick is wrong length . The full mark would have to be about inch further down then
it should be.
2) My bike doesn't lean over far enough on the jiffy stand, to get an accurate reading on
the dipstick
3) My oil tank is smaller then it is suppose to be.

Tom

Old 08-24-2008, 10:44 AM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '07 Deluxe takes 3 quarts with a oil and filter change. If I were to try and fill the filter before installing it, it would be less( in the tank ) I am sure. I can't figure out how I could fill the filter with out spilling clean oil all over, but some people can I guess. I put 3 quarts in the tank, run the bike for a couple minutes, and check the level. The run time is to fill the filter. One issue some folks could have is not draining thier oil right after shutting the bike down. This could give the oil time to drain from the tank to the motor, especially if you have a bike that does this more than others. Hope that made sense.

Last edited by HOGBOB; 08-24-2008 at 10:51 AM.