Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different length dipsicks for Softail's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008 | 10:42 AM
tmitchellof PG
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DAVE R
page 115 in my softail
I found it on page 86 of my "2005 FLSTFSE Model Owner's Manual".
It is for checking the oil before a trip, when the engine is cold. I was looking in the Service manual. I am sitting here waiting on tropical storm Fay to pass by us, then I will go out and check it.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 08-19-2008 | 05:04 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

Pretty complex issue I would say. Just think how tough it will be to change plugs.
Anyway, this just proves......... the length of your dipstick DOES matter!

Old 08-19-2008 | 09:14 PM
tmitchellof PG
|
Elite HDF Member

It is fairly minor, but it bothers me that the manual states 3 1/2 qts. and all it takes 2 1/2 qts.to get to the full mark, dip****.
Tom

Old 08-20-2008 | 10:01 AM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master

I didn't read the whole thread word for word..... but is there a difference based on changing the oil filter or not? It would account for some but maybe not a whole quart.

Old 08-20-2008 | 12:14 PM
King FLH
Road Captain

I'd say it's the entire lubrication system that holds 3.5 qts. Of course, it never all comes out during an oil change, unless you pull off the oil lines like some do, and pump it all out by spinning the engine with the starter. Then you would fill the bag, fire it up and let the lines and filter fill up, and then add the rest after the level in the bag dropped. If you look at an oil bag (tank to some), there's no way that thing is going to hold almost a gallon, probably even if it was filled to the top. From the side it looks like a lot of volume, but the middle is hollow for the battery. I just put in what I take out.
Just sayin...

Old 08-20-2008 | 01:47 PM
tmitchellof PG
|
Elite HDF Member

Per the manual, it takes 4 quarts for the initial fill. Then it takes 3-1/2 quarts for an oil and filter change. The manual states not to overfill by putting in more then 3-1/2 quarts, when doing an oil and filter change.
It was stated in this thread, that the 2005 Softails is when they first started to check the oil level, while the bike was on the jiffy stand. If that is the case, why do they use the same dipstick for the 2000 model year and newer?
Tom

Old 08-20-2008 | 03:14 PM
King FLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Per the manual, it takes 4 quarts for the initial fill. Then it takes 3-1/2 quarts for an oil and filter change. The manual states not to overfill by putting in more then 3-1/2 quarts, when doing an oil and filter change.
It was stated in this thread, that the 2005 Softails is when they first started to check the oil level, while the bike was on the jiffy stand. If that is the case, why do they use the same dipstick for the 2000 model year and newer?
Tom
Well the dipstick will fit, the difference would be how you check the oil. Do the instructions that come with the dipstick describe how to check? It's the stock dipstick that is different. The stick dangles off the cap. Of course, a temp. reading dipstick can't dangle. I bet the stock dipsticks for 05 and later are different part numbers.

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:04 AM
tmitchellof PG
|
Elite HDF Member

I have now decided that my dipstick is probably correct, but !!

My bike doesn't lean over very much, when it is on the jiffy stand. My theory now, is that if I had a stock height bike (not an SE that comes lowered in the rear) and the stock jiffy stand, the bike would lean noticeably more, when on the stand. This could amount to the reading on the dipstick showing it enough lower from the full mark to require another quart of oil.

I wonder if the Se Fat Boy and the Deluxe models (both of which come lowered in the rear, from the factory) have different length jiffy stands, then the regular Softails. If they don't, the oil readings will be false. This would not have been a problem before 2005, when the oil level was checked with the Softails standing straight up.
Tom

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:45 AM
sportncruise
Road Captain

Dry sump system and the motor itself uses very little oil at any one time. That is why many will say it is better to be low than over full. Over full will blow it out all over the place, a little low will do no harm!

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:20 AM
tmitchellof PG
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sportncruise
Dry sump system and the motor itself uses very little oil at any one time. That is why many will say it is better to be low than over full. Over full will blow it out all over the place, a little low will do no harm!
I agree. That's why I don't put in another quart to see what happens.
I know it wont hurt my engine, if I run with a quart less in the oil tank. It is just puzzling to me why my bike only takes 2-1/2 quarts for an oil and filter change. I am thinking with the thousands of members on this forum, someone must have the same condition and figured out why.
Tom

Quick Reply: Different length dipsicks for Softail's?