Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different length dipsicks for Softail's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:46 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tmitch......softails did go to the new style dipstick in 05 (the kind that wobbles and you check with the bike on the jiffy). But I too have wondered why my bike an 06 Fatboy that should have been very dry after I had the side cover off to replace the cams...drained the tank and replaced the filter. Put in 3 and little (book says 3.5) and it blew out the dipstick and some oil first time I road it.......problem is compounded because mine is triked so I can't check on jiffy and so its hard to know how much oil to put in.

I did however recieve some info from a couple of members who helped me with measurments and a photo..my thanks to 1of2 and Deadman77......

Old 08-15-2008, 07:01 PM
mcleod9
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my take on this. My 05 FLSTC- regular dipstick-3.5 inches from dipstick rim to full mark (made for side stand checks) Temp gauge stick - 3.5 inches from rim to full mark (same...made for side stand checks.
When doing a "non-scavenge" oil change, mine takes just over 2 quarts in the tank. Then, after a warming run, I add a top off for a total of 2 quarts and 26 ounces to bring it to the full mark. I don't think it's possible to even put 3.5 quarts in the tank like the book calls for. When I use the Scavenger kit on a change, then you can see the true 3.5 quart capacity.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can see where you would have to remark your dipstick, if you have a trike. It is handier checking oil while the bike is on the jiffy stand, but I would think the reading would be lot more accurate if they left it where you check with the bike straight up. I've noticed identical models that lean at different angles while on the jiffy stand. I originally thought that my bike didn't lean over far enough, while on the jiffy stand and that was why it took a quart less oil for the dipstick to read full.
My SE comes lowered in the rear. The original owner switched out the jiffy stand for an extended one. I checked on it and an extended one is the same length as a stock jiffy stand. it just has an extended prong on it so your heel can catch it easier. I don't know if a SE Fat Boy comes with a stock length jiffy stand, since it comes lowered. It should be just like what a Deluxe uses.
Tom

Old 08-15-2008, 08:08 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Mcleod9,
Mine takes about 12 ozs. less then yours. Probably because my bike sits straighter, when on the jiffy stand.
Tom

Last edited by tmitchellof PG; 08-15-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:22 PM
JoeFLHX
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What ever the manual says is usually what it takes. Jiffy stand or no jiffy stand, 2.5 inches, 3.5 inches or 9.5 inches. Start the bike after you put in two qts, wait a minute add 1.3 more and meassure it. Mark it, that is the reading.

See http://www.motorbike-search-engine.c...HD_flstfse.php

or

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...saryFatBoy.htm

Old 08-17-2008, 06:57 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, sitting here thinking about this, the only things I could come up with is that the temp dip sticks are longer to try to get a more accurate reading of the actual temperature of the oil. The stock dip stick only needs to read the level of the oil, vs. the temp ones need to be further down to get a more true reading of the oil temp. I'm probably full of **** but it sounds logical.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:13 PM
DAVE R
4th Gear

my owners manual says on the side stand your oil level should be at the weld line where the spout meets the tank body, i think this gives you a better standard to fill to. with drain and filter change my 06 night train takes 3qts.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeFLSTC
What ever the manual says is usually what it takes. Jiffy stand or no jiffy stand, 2.5 inches, 3.5 inches or 9.5 inches. Start the bike after you put in two qts, wait a minute add 1.3 more and meassure it. Mark it, that is the reading.

See http://www.motorbike-search-engine.c...HD_flstfse.php

or

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...saryFatBoy.htm
Hate too **** in your corn flakes.....But thats not always true... I warmed up my trike...drained the tank, replaced the oil filter......removed the side cover... more oil came out......replaced the cams... Put in 2 1/2 qrts started it put in a another 1 and a third......started it again..let it sit a couple of minutes.......checked it......it was very high on the dipstick....rode it.......it blew out the dipstick and a bunch of oil.......since then have been sent pics of oil level on dipstick taken from bike in upright position. And my bike (06 Fatboy) takes less than the 3 1/2 Quarts the manual states.....
Don't know why theres such a difference in amount of oil bikes take when changing oil......but there is......

Oh and thanks for your service.......

Last edited by FBTRIKE; 08-18-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DAVE R
my owners manual says on the side stand your oil level should be at the weld line where the spout meets the tank body, i think this gives you a better standard to fill to. with drain and filter change my 06 night train takes 3qts.
That is interesting. Do you know what page it is on? I have the 2005 Softail Service Manual, so the same information is probably on the same page in my manual or close to it.
I also don't think my bike leans over as far as most Softails, so I would have to put a different amount of oil in to get it to the weld area. In my thinking it would be a lot easier if they said where the level should be when the bike is in the up right position. Then it wouldn't matter how far each individual bike leans over.
Tom

Old 08-19-2008, 06:55 AM
DAVE R
4th Gear

page 115 in my softail

Quick Reply: Different length dipsicks for Softail's?