Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Washing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006 | 06:22 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Bike Washing Question

ORIGINAL: Headwolf

I agree that you don't have to baby it when washing but on the rain situation,,, I have the stage one kit and maybe something is wrong on my A/C but I got caught in a downpour on the highway and was running in the "roostertails" of the cars in front of me which was a lot of water, and my bike cutout on me at 60 Sputtered and knocked and died Pulled over and it wouldn't restart. I had to real pump on the gas to get it to start to try to start. After a few minutes of twisting throttle, finally started and took off again (had to get home) 5 miles later did it again. After finally restarting, pulled off highway at gas station to sit out rain, met a bike wrench (metrics) and he warned I was getting water in the carb and if it gets too bad I can bend a rod. Got me, sounded like a doomsday scenario but was a fact it would not run in heavy downpour. Next day contacted dealer, said no damage, but expalined with the bigger A/C the wrap around cover soesn't sheild the entire filter and water can get in if heavy. Advise to pull over in downpours Sound right to you guys?
Last season I did several trips in moderate rain. Only on one did my carbed bike sputter. The rain was steady moderate and I was at higher elevations. (2500 to 3000 ft MSL).

First time she just coughed a few times and when I pulled in the clutch and backed off the throttle it got REAL quiet. I coasted to the side of the road. Immediately restarted but had to rev it a few times to clean out the AC filter.

4 hours later in similar conditions it did it again, but I immediately rev'd her a few times to clear the filter and went back to normal operation.

I can see if the water is heavy enough you could put the fire out. If you can't pull over see if you can move your leg toward the front side of the AC to block some of the spray off your front tire and the vehicles in front of you.

Old 03-17-2006 | 06:25 PM
Cessna172
Cruiser

Dealer said to spray the engine down (after it cools of course) with Spray and Wash. Let set for a few minutes, then rinse with water from the hose. Engine looks brand new each time.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-17-2006 | 07:47 PM
WolfDog
Road Master

Nuff said, wash it and ride it..........

Old 03-18-2006 | 02:14 AM
richp5
Cruiser

Have a little over 3K miles on it and have only taken off the windshield to wash it and wiped off bird s**t a couple of times. I'll let the dealer wash it at the 5K oil change and perhaps might get a detail down the road. I washed my last bike less than five times over 60K miles. As you may have guessed I don't like washing my bikes.

Old 03-18-2006 | 09:13 PM
91springer
1st Gear

Just to add to this.. i hate washing my bike with a passion. so it only takes me about twenty minutes tops.. a little soap and water to rince then ride it dry. the paint and chrome cleans up easy like that. and for the engine i hit it with S100 engine cleaner (aeresol spray). that stuff makes any of the black on the bike look brand new. and dust dosent collect to it like some of the oily type cleaners. just my thoughts later