Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheild Height?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:47 PM
RichMik
|
Novice
Default Windsheild Height?

Hey Guys,

Getting ready to purchase a windsheild. My main ? Do I want to be looking over or through, been getting mixed feed back locally.

Also does anyone have experience with Memphis Shade, I can save a few $$$ this way.

Looking forward to any input.

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:50 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Windsheild Height?

Seems like the consensus is to be just looking over the top.

Sorry I can't help on the Memphis Shades question.

Primo

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:53 PM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain

What type of bike? The memphis has had a lot of positive here. I have the HD came with my fatboy. The height will also be mixed here. I personally like over the w/s vision. But I wear perscrip glasses and on the curve of the w/s I see blurr. You need to ride something with a w/s to get a true idea of what you like. Your passenger will prefer taller if you ride 2 up. Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:59 PM
RichMik
|
Novice

I'm on 05 Fat boy, 2 up not a concern, have ridden a buddy's sportster with windsheild, top was at eye line wich felt like bifocals.

Old 03-13-2006 | 10:10 PM
UltraScoot
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: RichMik

Hey Guys,

Getting ready to purchase a windsheild. My main ? Do I want to be looking over or through, been getting mixed feed back locally.

Also does anyone have experience with Memphis Shade, I can save a few $$$ this way.

Looking forward to any input.

I put the HD Nostalgic Detachable Standard-Height, Clear, Plain
Fits '05-later FLSTN, '86-later FLSTC and '00-later FLSTF and '06 FLST models with or without auxiliary lamps. Additional mounting hardware not required. Cannot be used with windshield bags.

P/N 57140-05click here

I heard you should be looking just over the WS, meaning top of WS should be at the bridge of your nose.
I just put mine on and have road app. 200 mile with it on, i am looking through it right now; it takes a bit getting use too but i would not leave home with out it on a long run. if you use the short style one which is i beleive 3 inches shorter I'm told it will force the wind right into your face. hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2006 | 10:25 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I prefer looking over the shield, especially when riding in the rain, but it is just a prsonal choice.

You might try getting one that is a little tall and custom cutting it to fit you. It is easy to do, and you end up with what is just right for you.

Remember is is easier to have too much and lose a little than have too little and try to add.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-13-2006 | 10:30 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Remember is is easier to have too much and lose a little than have too little and try to add.
Regards,

Bill
That's what the doc said before my johnson implant!

Old 03-14-2006 | 06:35 AM
ajay450
Tourer

On my Fatboy I have the standard height quick disconnect shield. I find myself looking through it. It's too high to look over. I prefer looking over but looking through it isn't as bad as I would have thought. I may cut it down. I try to stay away from rain and don't ride at night, so looking through it is not a problem.

Old 03-14-2006 | 12:51 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Primo

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Regards,

Bill

That's what the doc said before my johnson implant!
Were you losing or gaining. If you have some left over let me know, I could use a little extra.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-14-2006 | 01:00 PM
Woodyheritage
Cruiser

I have the 03 Heritage with the tall windshield and I do look through it. I think it depends on your driving conditions. It has been great in the rain (in Florida we get a lot all of a sudden) as I also use a cleaner wax on it and works about the same as Rainx. As you can tell there are a lot of opinions. Old school is definately just looking over it, as for long distance and daily rider I enjoy the the tall as I hate sand trucks beating my face and head up with their sandblast. I do agree with bullnourse with get the tall, try it and if you don't like it you can still cut it down but it will be exactly at the height YOU want then.
best of luck
Woody

Quick Reply: Windsheild Height?