Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Dr. Fatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Calipers

Looking for some thoughts from those that have upgraded to chrome calipers. I have been thinking about upgrading to some chrome calipers when I change the handlebars and put on braided lines. I'm wondering about going with aftermarket vs Genuine HD. The aftermarket comes with brake pads and pins and you can get them on ebay for $280 This is less than just the front caliper from HD. Both of the HD calipers go for over a whopping $700. What are your thoughts/advice. Any pics of what you've done would be great too.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Chrome Calipers

Best advice, don't cheap out on brakes, they may save your life. Check out performance machine or some other reputable brand like kuyakyn. Maybe a cheaper alternative is to have your existing calipers chromed at a local plater. You could probably get them done for under $200 (just a guess). If you don't want to be without your bike, you could buy new ones from HD, have them plated and then sell the ones off your bike on ebay. This will give you some idea on prices https://www.hdforums.com/m_71267/tm.htm

Old 03-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Don't go with HD, just too expensive for the quality that you get. Make sure you also get full free floating rotors when you change the calipers, and get as many pistons as you can. As previously stated, don't cheap out on brakes, but don't pay HD prices for their quality.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer

I have chrome calipers from Performance Machine. one of the best investments yet, they look great and stop much better than stock HD. you can check them out in my gallery or if you want close up photo's email me and i'll get some out to you. Also have had very good customer support from PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:34 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a MoCo supporter because their stuff is the best quality, end of story..
I did my whole bike in Moco, except for Kuryakyn Mirrors, which are being sent back for a big pit in the mirror arm.
I don't think I could find fault with Performance Machine, you know that stuff is quality also..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5332/037E5D3F85744BE2A3A0AF7AD2CE2227.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

George, I'm partially with you. I was not insulting HD as a whole, I was just reffering to their brakes that are on my bike.

I buy a lot of HD stuff, but the brake rotors on my 01 Ultra are very poor compared to most aftermarket. They are not free floating, and do not dissapate heat very well. I've had two that have warped badly, under regular wear, from overheating making the bike unsafe. HD now offers a free floating rotor for my bike, but it is substantially more expensive than quality aftermarket. With brakes, I'll purchase better quality next time I need them.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:18 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

What floaters did you buy?
I bought a set of these http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I gotta admit, it took me 10 minutes to peel off the "Made in Japan" stickers..

Kuryakyn, Arlen Ness, J&P, Drag, all outsource Japanese or Chinese parts. They all do, so quality is a crap shoot. You KNOW that an unknown third party, no name source for HD parts will have strictly garbage. At least with MoCo, who ever they contract out to produce their merch, they do the best job..

Old 03-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

George, I did look at the HD free floaters recently, but thanks for the link.

The two rotors that went bad on me were both covered under warrenty, and I did not have a choice, they just replaced them with original equipment.

I am also aware that most of these items are made in the Orient, and quality concerns are huge. As far as some of the dealers, I only did a price comparison at J&P, and they were higher price in U.S. funds than I could have bought them here in Canada in Canadian funds, so that stopped that.

Right now I don't need rotors, but am searching for chrome free floaters that are good quality. I just put on chrome fork lowers, so I'm looking, but haven't decided yet. I will post what I decide on and why so that you can take a look.

Joe

Old 03-14-2006, 10:48 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

The stock HD rotors aren't floaters, and like most stock items, are probably basic quality at best..
I just ditched them because I thought they looked gawd awful. I bought the MoCo floaters on looks alone, not knowing the added benefits of a moving disc.
The chrome centers also add the custom look.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer

I am not bashing MOCO either and can not speak to the new bikes but my bike is a 96 and stock caliper is a single piston. the performance machine i have are 4 piston and they also offer 6 piston. They just work better.
ORIGINAL: George C

I'm a MoCo supporter because their stuff is the best quality, end of story..
I did my whole bike in Moco, except for Kuryakyn Mirrors, which are being sent back for a big pit in the mirror arm.
I don't think I could find fault with Performance Machine, you know that stuff is quality also..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5332/037E5D3F85744BE2A3A0AF7AD2CE2227.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Chrome Calipers