Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose grips

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Nighttrain07
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose grips

What is the best glue for grips. I have Kuryakyn ISO grips. The left side has come loose.
I have a 2007 Nighttrain. I was considering Griplock adhesive.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: loose grips

Greetings,
&nbsp\\;
Whatever you use, before you put it on scuff up the handlebar with some sandpaper and then put it on. That way you won't be in this same situation later on.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean off the old first.&nbsp\\; No need to scuff up the bars.&nbsp\\; Believe it of not, Aquanet hairspray works great.&nbsp\\; When it is wet it is very slick to allow the grip to go on easily and when it dries it provides plenty of holding power.&nbsp\\; Hey it holds woman's hair in place during a huricane it has to work on a piece of rubber.
&nbsp\\;
Mark

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Nighttrain07
Novice

I have heard other people say that using hairspray works. That is unusual.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Trash Rat
Road Captain

I just put the ISO grips on my Fatboy, &amp\\; I used the tape that is used to hold the rubber grips on golf clubs. It's kind of a 2 sided tape that has one sticky side that holds it on the bar, &amp\\; the other side isn't sticky until you spray it with an activator solution. You have plenty of time to position the grip the way you want it, but is dry enough to ride in about 30 minutes.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Nighttrain07
Novice

I do not play golf. Where can I get this tape, and what is it called?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
highbars92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try putting 1 layer of duct tape on it. I've also used regular electrical r=tape and haven't had any problems with it slipping.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Rocker C
Intermediate

The dealer uses spray paint.&nbsp\\; Spray some in the grip slide it on the bar. Ready to ride in an hour.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

My left grip (clutch) came loose two weeks after my Indy put my ISO grips on.&nbsp\\; Did a search on this forum and made the decision to use Gorilla Glue as recommeded by several members.&nbsp\\; It has been three months now and the grip is rock solid.&nbsp\\; I did lightly sand&nbsp\\; and clean the handlebar&nbsp\\; before I installed the grip.&nbsp\\; Gorilla glue will expand a bit after applying and I believe that helped to permanently&nbsp\\; secure the ISO grip.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; Note:&nbsp\\; once you apply the glue to the handlebar and&nbsp\\;inside the grip and&nbsp\\;begin to push it on the bar, do not stop, continue to push it all the way inside&nbsp\\;of the lip on the switch housing.&nbsp\\; Make sure you have the grip in the right hand position when shoving it on.&nbsp\\; Before I installed the grip I slipped in on the bar all the way to the switch and then positioned it to my liking.&nbsp\\; I used a felt marker to mark the spot on the grip and the switch housing so I would not have to guess at the right hand position&nbsp\\;when&nbsp\\;I put the grip&nbsp\\; on.&nbsp\\;(this applies to whatever you use to glue the grip to the bar)

Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 PM
gunner065
Road Captain

I tried the hair spray trick with my ISO grips. Didn't work. I put about 2-3 wraps of duck tape and it worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: loose grips