Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you Mustang Solo Seat/Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for you Mustang Solo Seat/Backrest

I am thinking of buying the Wide Mustang Solo Seat with riders backrest and the passenger pillion for my Heritage. I am looking for something a little more comfortable. Getting ready for Sturgis this year also and I am thinking I will like the riders backrest alot.

Now I already heard alot of testimonies on this seat for comfortable. What I want to know is how the seat positions you from the stock heritage seat? Does it move you forward? Up? Drop you down? push you back? ect....

I am just worried about being pushed forward by the seat and backrest combo. This is something I don't want.

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:32 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Question for you Mustang Solo Seat/Backrest

according to Mustang none of their seats change your position up down or front or back. I have a mustang and it measure the same as the Harley but feels more forward because it makes you sit upright. My friend has the 17.5 in with backrest and passenger pinion and swears by them. I have a vintage version i am selling because i am too wide in the rear for it. i will get the wide version as soon as i sell mine.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:54 PM
BGHFD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want to be pushed forward or sit higher either.

I put the Mustang wide solo with backrest on my 2003 Heritage.&nbsp\\; I feel it pushed me forward slightly (1/2 to 1 inch) and up about the same.&nbsp\\; I did not like this, but the seat is so much more comfortable, that I am getting used to it.&nbsp\\; With this seat, I find I don't use my highway pegs much compared to the stock seat.

I also purchased the Offset Drivers Backrest Post (pn 75099) from Mustang to be able to move the backrest back farther.&nbsp\\; This has helped, but I am slowly moving it up more to get used to it so I can eventually put the stock post back on.&nbsp\\; The offset post interferes more with the rear pillion even though it is recessed.&nbsp\\; I changed the knurled adjustment **** for a button head screw which helps.

I run it solo quite a bit, but my wife really likes the wide rear seat compared to the stock passenger seat.

The Mustang people I talked with did say it would move me up higher, but insisted that it would "break in" and come back down.&nbsp\\; I find this a little true.

I bought mine from American Classics through ebay and have been very happy.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one on my bike.... with the backrest on it DEFINITELY pushes you forward... the handlebar hit my knee doing a uturn the first day I put it on which surprised me....&nbsp\\; With the backrest off it feels only a little bit forward but with it on I feel like am at least 1.5" forward... the height feels about the same as stock seat.
&nbsp\\;
Dean

Old 07-05-2008, 05:39 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... it is however a BIG relief on your back with the backrest on and a VERY different feels... even looks cool with the backrest on which surprised me... but if you are 6" tall or more you would wanna move forward controls forward 2" (as I now do)... I don't know what it will feel like with floorboards so can't say...
&nbsp\\;
Dean

Old 07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Thats the same seat i have for sell. I measured it and it was the same to the name plate on the Harley seat. I found out i was sitting on the top of the back of the Harley seat so it seemed like it moved me forward and it did. I too hit my knee but i dont normally turn that sharp so if i do i just move my knee outward. compared to stock it is way softer. If i dont sell it i may just put it back and go on a diet.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_3504137/tm.htm[/align]&nbsp\\;[/align]http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/689245450.html[/align]

Old 07-05-2008, 08:53 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.

According to the website the backrest is suppose to be adjustable? No? Yes? How much does it adjust and in other words you cannot adjust it back to keep from pushing you forward?

Maybe I would need the offset backrest post that BGHFD mentioned?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:00 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

you can adjust it but the shaft will still be straight when all the way back. You still can adjust the angle. It is supposed to keep you upright and not made as a recliner. I guess it depends on the spare tire you carry. Mine is&nbsp\\;mostly up front.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded up from the Mustang Sport Solo to the Wide touring w/backrest. I can feel it move me up a little, but that backrest is the best thing since sliced bread.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck with your decision.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/E400C23A46084C14B0361230345AC852.jpg[/IMG]