Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dies When Clutch Is In

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:26 PM
DeuceRyder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Dies When Clutch Is In

I had this problem with my 07 softail also. takeing long to start and dieing with the clutch in.. So take your gas cap off and turn on your tank switch, put your ear up to the tank and turn ON the run switch,(do not start the bike) listen inside the tank if you here something pissing off in there you have a hole in the from the fuel pump to your bike witch is causing all your problems. Make sure your not on a full tank when checking this.. If you have a manaul you can probally change it yourself or take it back to a sealership..Hope this helps

Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 PM
DeuceRyder
Advanced

a lil too many beers on a sunday!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 PM
amontances
Intermediate

i took it out for a spin today and nothing happened.&nbsp\\; i started my scoot up on the first try and it started up like when i first got her.&nbsp\\; i was on the very last bar of my gas guage and so i filled it up with new gas after taking it to the HD service center.&nbsp\\; they tried to replicate the problem in the parking lot, but nothing happened and this was on the 1 bar gas guage.&nbsp\\; i talked to another harley guy who bought a Harley that's European who is American and he was able to justify what that "non mechanic" was talking about in getting a new air intake, and re-jetting it.&nbsp\\; at the time of conversation, i thought they've re-jetted my bike to a different settings other than what came off the shelf.&nbsp\\; but the "non-mechanic" assured me that they techs didn't.&nbsp\\;

so this is my verdict so far.&nbsp\\; after checking under the seat, i found the fuel pump fuse to be loose.&nbsp\\; i pushed that sucker in and checked on other loose conenctions\\; nothing was found.&nbsp\\; i drove the bike for at least a good 25 min on the way to the HD service center with my gas tank reading 1 bar.&nbsp\\; nothing happened along the way as i tried my darnest to replicate the issue.&nbsp\\; i bought a new tank of 95 octane gas with Repsol that's right next to the HD Dealer because i was told that Repsol's gas is quality gas.&nbsp\\; so i trusted them.&nbsp\\; i drove home for another 25 min and again i tried to replicate the issue in all sorts of gear\\; nothing.&nbsp\\; so it may have been my loose fuel pump fuse that caused the stalling, and often BACK FIRES.&nbsp\\; well, i've scheduled a time with HD to have them look at it so it's been documented and so that when this happens again, then i'll bring it back.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:05 AM
amontances
Intermediate

hello everyone

i've come to discover that my bike requires high octane gas which is 98 Octane here in europe. when i put something like 95 octane, it stalls when my clutch is in. what can be the reason why my bike requires 98 octane? i talked to the HD shop that did my 10K check and they didn't re jet my engine. any ideas????

Old 08-11-2008, 05:23 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't recall off hand what all is required on a 10K service... but have you checked the idle.... when the engine is warmed up? It is no doubt on the low side of the system, I mean if it is running fine on the high end...

Maybe they set your idle before the bike was warmed up and now when it does gets to operating temp the idle is too low...

Just a thought...

Charlie D.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same concern with my 08 nightrain. It did it first a month ago and then again a couple weeks ago. I dropped it off at the stealer yesterday for the 1k service and on the way there it stalled 6 times while comming to a stop. I also have a issue with the speedo, it doesnt work at times either. I will let you know what they find with it.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 AM
amontances
Intermediate
Default Gas Issue?

hello Blk and Chrome

it has to be the gas you put into your system. as you can see from this thread i thought it was a loose fuel pump fuse, but it wasn't because i tried different grades of gas. i think in the US it uses 94 octane and here in Europe and specifically in spain they use 95 and 98 octane. i experimented between the two and i found out using 95 octane kept killing my engine and using 98 octane kept the engine alive. it's gotta be your gas that you're using.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here in the US the best is 93 octane, at first I thought it was the gas but have tried many differnt brads and oly pump from the stations that have seperate nozzles for the grades. It doesnt do it often enough to figure out. When it does happen it only does it a few times then its all better, like it never happened.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
amontances
Intermediate
Default i figured it out

hello everyone who responded and read this message. well, i just wanted to let anyone who had a the same problem as me to tell them that i figured out what the problem was. i did end up buying the V&H air box and computer as an excuse to fix my problem, but ultimately. it just came down to me putting in lower grade gas. i personally thought that europe had higher grade gas such as 91 octane and higher in europe, but apparently not for their regular. i have to buy the "super" so that my bike will not stall when i have my clutch in.

thanks again...

ciao

alvin from italy

Old 10-10-2010, 02:53 PM
amontances
Intermediate

O.K. so after 1.5 year after dealing with this problem, i finally figured out what the problem was with my bike. originally my bike kept stalling out when i came to a stop or had the clutch in. the Fuel Management System from Vance & Hines (Fuel Pack) failed on me. it lasted for over a 1 year until it can no longer function; bike dies as if it was being deprived of gas. i replaced with the V&H Fuel Pack with a Power Commander and it works fine now. it also worked fine when i disconnected the Fuel Pack turned it back to stock... all worked fine.