Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added a tool box to my 05 Deluxe (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: Added a tool box to my 05 Deluxe (pics)

Where did the tool box come from? Are they made just for Softails? Regardless, it look pretty nice on your bike.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:35 AM
RetroHarley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TRSpook

Retro

Are those the Harley passenger footboards? If so, did you buy them from an HD place? If not, what did you get them for? I have been looking for them anywhere but HD, too expensive.
TRS,
They are the Tapered Rear Passenger footboards that match the front boards (Part #50395-05) I just did a search on HD and they are not listed anymore, I'm thinking they discontinued them, not sure why. Anybody know if the 06 Deluxe Front boards are different then the 05's?

Anyway, do a Google search for the part number or for Tapered Rear Passenger and you'll find them at many dealers. Here's a link to the St.Paul website who still has them. Link to St. Paul and here's a description:

Styled to match the rider footboards on the Softail Deluxe model, these Tapered Passenger Footboards feature a crested "Bar & Shield" logo rubber pad surrounded by a chrome accent. The footboard pan is chrome-plated throughout to add a custom touch, even in the folded position. Fits '86-later Touring and Softail models equipped with passenger footboards. Installation on models equipped with passenger footpegs require separate purchase of additional hardware. Model-specific Softail footboard supports are available in Support Kit P/N 50399-05 and 50400-05 or in Footboard Kit P/N 50602-00, 50602-89B, 50955-00, 50955-97A, and 52715-04.

ORIGINAL: deluxe

Retro,

Great looking bike dude.

Those boards must make all the difference. How hard were they to fit?

Anything to watch out for?

Hope you get to put some miles it soon! Still bad here!
deluxe,

Nothing really to look out for, pretty simple upgrade, if you can spell wrench you should be good to go. It's a tougher install with stock pipes because the boards mount between the pipes, but if you have pipes that run lower, it's pretty simple.

ORIGINAL: Whiskers
Where did the tool box come from? Are they made just for Softails? Regardless, it look pretty nice on your bike.
Whiskers,

They are Harley tool boxes, here's a link.

They look even better in person and have a liner (sold seperately) so your stuff is not banging around on the inside. They lock and you open it up and can take the whole liner out if you'd like.

For those interested, they also make a leather tool box. Link to leather toolbox.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,910 Likes on 814 Posts

How does it open? Is it hinged?

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-11-2006, 05:45 PM
RetroHarley
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Clammy

Cheers!
Clammy,

Yes hinged on the bottom so it opens from top toward you down. I blew it up and pointed to the hinges.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:00 PM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Retro - I take it you are happy with them... I was actually getting ready to order a set this past week but wanted to get a feel and look myself, went to the stealership today but they didn't have them in stock to look at... I guess I will just order them, only question, how do they mount? I know they come with a bracket just can't picture where it goes. BTW your bike looks great.

P.S. Zanotti has them for 68.60 for one side and 69.06 for the other side... bit of a discount from HD.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:44 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those tins are a great addition! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,910 Likes on 814 Posts

ORIGINAL: RetroHarley

ORIGINAL: Clammy

Cheers!
Clammy,

Yes hinged on the bottom so it opens from top toward you down. I blew it up and pointed to the hinges.

Thanks very much. I'm thinking about getrtting one for my keys/phone/sunglasses, etc... that's a really good idea!

Cheers!

Old 03-12-2006, 02:13 PM
RetroHarley
Tourer

ORIGINAL: voodoo93

Retro - I take it you are happy with them... I was actually getting ready to order a set this past week but wanted to get a feel and look myself, went to the stealership today but they didn't have them in stock to look at... I guess I will just order them, only question, how do they mount? I know they come with a bracket just can't picture where it goes. BTW your bike looks great.

P.S. Zanotti has them for 68.60 for one side and 69.06 for the other side... bit of a discount from HD.
Voodoo93,

2 things, I had them mounted while in storage for the winter for 2 reasons, I got a 20% discount on parts and a 15% discount on labor....so while I can't ride it up here in MN, may as well update it. The 20% off puts my cost the same as your Zanotti price, a very good deal.

As far as mounting, it's pretty simple, they mount underneath the chrome right under the seat. The top picture shown my bike before install, bottom picture after, hope it helps.

And thanks to all for the nice compliments on the bike.

Later this week I'll have more pics after I have the new HD Air Horn and laydown license plate installed, then we will be done and ready to ride.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:46 PM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Retro - I went ahead and pulled the trigger - ordered both sides from Zaonotti - may not mount both sides but wasn't sure which side I would prefer if I only went with one... will see. Thanks for the up close pics, really helps. Sweet Ride!

Old 03-12-2006, 09:49 PM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea, great look, great pics.
Damn! You just made my wallet open again!

Bones

Quick Reply: Added a tool box to my 05 Deluxe (pics)