Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hog membership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006 | 02:00 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: hog membership?

ORIGINAL: liltrk

hog tied I see you are from Canada. I got a discount on my insurance with my HOG membership. Discount was more than the membership, so why not? Company is called Riders Plus. Might be worth a call.

Heheh... those are the same guys I have my insurance through. Same HOG discount. I also got another "experienced rider" discount because I've had my M class for the past 12 years or so.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-08-2006 | 02:29 PM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: haksaw

100yrfatboy, I'm sure you know this, but HOG is not a "club"

I'd rather ride alone or with friends than with a bunch of newbies. Riding in a pack isn't fun if you can't trust or don't even know who you're riding with. I think HOG is more about posing at the coffee shop with your 'colors' than riding anyway. (that and paying the moco more money to advertise for them)

I know there may some real riders in the group but from what i've seen they're mostly wkd warriors. This is not aimed at anyone in this group.....just some observations from my experience. MHO
As stated above, the club, (whether you call it one or not). The chapters are different from dealer to dealer.They are not owned by the dealer, but he has to want and be granted a chapter by the Moco.We are very fortunate that our dealer is smart enough to know the chapter will benefit him & his dealership. he gives us quite a bit of freedom. Our officers run the monthly happenings of the chapter, with guidance from our dealer. Our dealer sponsors and donates many items to our 2 annual runs we put on in addition to giving us $500.00 per month to be given out by raffle & participation drawings at our monthly meetings. I have heard of many dealers that do not support their chapter & that is a shame. I personally have made a lot of friends and have learned a lot of good riding habits from members that have been here for many years. Yes there are newbies, but all of us were at one time. I am sorry for all of you that never had that welcome to the HD family, that you deserved. For all that do not like group riding, that's ok. I enjoy group, solo, a few close friends and then just the honey & myself. I am happiest when I am on 2 wheels and sharing that with others that feel the same.

Old 03-08-2006 | 09:03 PM
tb2377
Tourer

i got a year hog when i got my bike but i didn't join a chapter. not sure if i wat to. i like the idea of meeting people and going for some rides to places that i probably would never find but i have a hard time feeling obligated to meet a certain time and place and if im late i miss out. the motorcycle gives you a certain freedom and i think certain obligations kind of take away from that. ihave a couple of buddies i ride with. usually around bear mountain. i want to join a chapter and than i second guess it. i haven't decided yet so i'd like to hear som more pros and cons. oh yeah does the insurance discount go for a chapter hog or national? i have rider insurance and i didn't even ask if there was a discount. my renewal sould come up in june so i'll ask soon. thanks guys!

[IMG]local://upfiles/7785/A6ED2AA26DF147D7B008A284FBBF71A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2006 | 10:59 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

I am active in the local chapter.

Yes, there are some great folks and some real pinheads. It don't take too long to figure out which is which.

So far the benefits out weigh the costs. But remember you can't always put a price on those two items.

So go and hang out take a few rides go to a few events and decide if you like the chapter or want to check out a different one.

Old 03-09-2006 | 11:16 AM
haksaw
Road Master

HOG Hog Owners GROUP. Not club. Big difference.

I do agree that all the chapters are different and I didn't say there aren't great people that belong to HOG....I just find there's more of the types I mentioned above than the good ones.

As far as newbies, it's true we all gotta start somewhere but that sure shouldn't be riding in a pack. That is not a starting point, it's a recipe for disaster.

I wouldn't consider someone who's ridden other bikes before but is new to HD a newbie. A newbie is an inexperienced rider....has nothing to do with having a harley or not.

I agree with the above post that belonging to a motorcycle organization takes some of the freedom out of it.

Old 03-14-2006 | 11:03 PM
thetwistedsoul
Intermediate

Our local chpter does alot. My wife just started riding and i am glad she will be able to find people to ride with plus the sponsored rides, weekly dinners, and fundraisers. I love it.

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:09 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: haksaw

I wouldn't consider someone who's ridden other bikes before but is new to HD a newbie. A newbie is an inexperienced rider....has nothing to do with having a harley or not.
Amen brotha-----I had some guys introduce me as a "newbie to bikes" They put me up front so that I "could pick a pace I felt comfortable with" At the end of that stretch of curves, they said, "man, I thought this was your first bike?" No---u assumed it was......I told you that this was my first Harley---I've been riding since 10 years old and raced on some of the same tracks as AMA Supersport and Superbike guys.

I meet 1-3 guys on the weekend and by the time we finish riding; we may have 1-3 guys or 10-15. That's my type of riding----but everyone has his/her preference.

Old 03-15-2006 | 12:24 PM
WillyHD
Road Master

Not a HOG member and probably won't become one. No real reason. I just don't see the benifit in it. I usually ride alone because my rides are spur-of-the-moment-one-day-notice rides. It is really hard for me to plan a ride with any group.