Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we too noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006 | 07:32 PM
Firefox
|
Cruiser
Default Are we too noisy?

Have you guy's and gals checked this out? Its on the Harley Davidson home page. Under What's happening. In Something we never want to lose. I would like to hear your reactions.

This is copyed from there so if this is not legal I'm sorry. I didn't know. Lonnie Z.

It must be primeval. The way it touches us so deeply, we must have some ancient hardwiring inside us that's a direct feed to our very core. Maybe it's some leftover evolutionary seventh sense that's triggered when we hit the ignition and fire brings our V-twins to life. Or maybe the rhythmic rumble reminds us of some distant thundering herd. The chase is on. And our hearts automatically race not wanting to be left behind. Or our soul goes hungry.

Whatever else it is, this authentic part of the Harley-Davidson experience really is something. And it's something we don't ever want to lose.

Now comes the troubling part. How can the sound that embodies so much of what we love about Harley-Davidson® motorcycles be so offensive to others? And it's even more troubling that those negative feelings are spreading throughout the country and around the world. Some people just don't like motorcycles. Period. We can accept that. But isn't there something we can do to keep their numbers from growing?

Negative news stories regarding motorcycle noise have increased 400 percent over the past 10 years. In the last year, communities across the United States have upped their efforts to curb motorcycle noise. Some communities have instituted outright bans on motorcycles. Even traditional motorcycle rally locations like Laconia, Daytona, and Myrtle Beach have had controversies regarding noise at their events this past year.

Worldwide, motorcycle noise is becoming more heavily restricted. Europe and Japan now require lower than U.S. dB(A) levels for new motorcycles right out of the box. In Australia, for example, a permanent label must be affixed and remain on to signify legal pipes. Annual inspections are also required.

Looking into the science of sound, the perception of sound varies according to multiple factors; volume is the single factor that most often sends hearing from barely noticeable to unbearable. Understandable. That's why many riders are fitting themselves with earplugs for longer rides. But what's really interesting is that the sound impulses we generate ourselves seem less of a nuisance than those generated by others. We're also more indulgent when it comes to a “friendly” sound or noise - music, for example, if you happen to be a musician yourself. So, the "friendly" sounds of our Harleys are not so friendly sounding to those who don't share our passion for riding. We can't change that. But what can we do?

It seems that we, not just the Motor Company, not just the Harley-Davidson dealers, not just a handful of riders, we all, every Hog lovin' one of us, must do everything we can to protect our sport and keep it as strong as it is today. We must take our turn, as more than a century-worth of Harley riders has before us, in guarding our sport.

In those very early days, Harley-Davidson was born as a form of basic transportation. When you added a sidecar or a delivery box to the back, they became utility vehicles. Then the weekend was invented. Well, you were lucky if you got one day off. But you made the most of it and discovered the sheer joy of motorcycling. And you discovered that there were others just like you who carried that dominant riding gene. You were born with it. And proud of it. You owned your own kind of freedom. But even then, there were many who didn't understand.

There were literally hundreds of motorcycle manufacturers in the early days. Far more than there were automakers. As the number of motorized vehicles grew, so did the issue of noise. The confounded machines were upsetting the still-main-means-of-transportation horses. Farmers complained about machines disturbing their livestock. And the gener

Old 03-07-2006 | 07:37 PM
Cessna172
Cruiser
Default RE: Are we too noisy?

Same story with airplanes - the only caveat with aircraft noise is that people buy or build houses next to airports then complain of the noise. Even though the facility has been there for decades. Harley noise is generally transient and for the most part unscheduled. Either way - a big twin firing through shortys or a 12 cylinder radial airplane engine - I love 'em both!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-07-2006 | 07:43 PM
nutsy
Tourer

i just wouldnt enjoy the ride as much if i didnt hear that harley rumble. my bikes a little loud but i really dont care what people think. also loud pipes save lives. a harley gotta sound like a harley imo.

Old 03-07-2006 | 10:17 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

Sounds like PANSY CANDY ASSED CRAP from the MoCo to me!

Old 03-07-2006 | 10:25 PM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Hoover, Can you take a joke? About calling someone a pansy while you have Eric Estrada without a shirt for an avatar?

Old 03-07-2006 | 11:06 PM
Firefox
|
Cruiser

When I bought my 06 Night Train as soon as it was broke in I couldn't wait to get the Race Tuner and Pipes on. I mean in my opinion the sound sucked. And my dealer did just about everything they could to discourage me. The warrenty thing and all that crap. But half the reason I like a Harley was the sound, the rumble you know its like its part of the Harley style. I can understand it might get a little too much sitting at a stop light lighting the exhaust up but all I wanted was the rumble and I don't think thats too over bearing. Do you?

Old 03-08-2006 | 12:13 AM
WolfDog
Road Master

Ever hear a Peterbuilt pulling a load from a red light.

Get a life people.[8D]

Old 03-08-2006 | 12:34 AM
Firefox
|
Cruiser

I've drove a Peterbilt from a red light.

Old 03-08-2006 | 12:51 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

Yes, you make to much noise.

Old 03-08-2006 | 06:59 AM
Boogie Knights
Advanced

In a word, NO, I get hot under the collar when I read this corporate B.S. coming out of Harley D. The fat-cat executives can't wait to take the $'s from us, but now want us to be nice and quiet as well![sm=icon_flaming.gif] I know it might sound a little simplistic, but the noise is a major part of the Hogs appeal, without the rumble we'd may as well be riding a humming machine from the land of the rising sun![sm=noooo.gif] Seems to me like they want to project that "Bad ***" image, (skull covers etc), but only in an insipid, antiseptic, politicaly correct way! Land of the Free? (only don't make too much noise ) I'm going out now to spark up the beast![sm=badbadbad.gif]

Quick Reply: Are we too noisy?