Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we too noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007 | 09:49 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Default RE: Are we too noisy?

I see a lot of folks here being considerate to *their* neighbors, but don't forget about the *other* neighbors... those in the neighborhoods you ride through. They are just as likely, if not more so, to raise a stink regarding 'noisy' interruptions. While my pipes are a bit loud, I try to lay off the noise as much as possible so others don't find it objectionable and decide to legislate and litigate.

Roger

Old 07-24-2007 | 10:35 AM
VtBlackDog
Cruiser

I"m sick of hearing the really loud bikes go by my house at night. I'd love to see the really loud pipes regulated out of existance.

Old 07-24-2007 | 12:01 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

We need to get the EPA to put mufflers on NASCAR.......that'll take the heat off of us for a while....

Old 07-24-2007 | 12:32 PM
mid evil train
Road Master

Amen to that. Maybe they should put a disclaimer on loud pipes like they do alcohol (use loud pipes responsibly). I do!I put up with noise every day I dont want to hear ie: lawn mowers, weed eaters, airplanes and that crappy rap pumping from every teenagers car that comes by.Saying pipes are too loud is like saying a girls to pretty or you have to much money, just aint no such animal. Besides Harley's were making noise long before planes, cars, and radios, they should be grandfathered and exempt.

Old 07-26-2007 | 11:12 AM
captain m
Road Master

In our local newspaper lately,we've had a lot of "letters to the editor" mostly bitchin' about loud pipes.A friend of mine wrote in with a very short letter to them.It read;" IF LOUD PIPES SAVE JUST ONE LIFE, THEY'RE WORTH IT". End of story,no-ones written about them since.

Old 07-26-2007 | 12:27 PM
Waltman
Tourer

As I was driving my '03 Cobra, cruising nicely, mind in my own business, enjoying my drive, all of a sudden out of nowhere a speedy HD bikerrushes by, like trying to beat the upcoming light, needless to say hedid not makeit.I stopped byhis side at the light, I had my windows open (radio off), the riderseemed annoyed at something or anxious to keep goingthat he was playing with the throttle an reving the engine. The bike had after market pipes and were quite loud, it was painful to listen to them!! Interestingly enough, I did not hear him cominguntil he passed me, sound from a bike's pipe, travels backwards. Anyway, I rolled up my windows, apparently he didn't like that! As the light turned green, he opened it up and boy it was a screamer. Again he tried to beat the next light. He couldn't. He was making a .left turn, I was going straight. As I approached slowly, and as I was about to pass him, I revved up my 425 HP Cobra and let my BORLA exhaust do its job, you should've seen him jump, that was priceless!!.

Old 07-27-2007 | 07:09 AM
Professor
Road Captain

Been all over on this one. I've ridden for 40 years, mostly HD, mostly aftermarket pipes. I'm tired of the noise. I wear ear plugs on trips to reduce fatigue and it works. My 07 has stock pipes and I love hearing the engine. I will be putting touring mufflers on my dresser, too.
Consider this: I was in the Rockies a couple of weeks ago. I saw the effect loud pipes had on the wild life, i.e. the animals. What a "real man" the guy who decides to scare the $hit out of animals. A real tough guy that throttles it going past the herds and cause the horses or cows to startle.
I've seen a lot on this and I'm in the quiet pipes crowd. How about I stood outside your house and cranked up my music to 100db at 11 PM?

Old 08-06-2007 | 09:54 AM
cnchavez
Intermediate

WHO CARES?? "THA LOUDER THA BETTA"I kinda like pi$$in people off. most of them get out of the way and let me pass anyway.

Old 08-06-2007 | 09:55 AM
cnchavez
Intermediate

i would probably come out and off my ipod and have a beer with you

Old 08-06-2007 | 10:55 AM
Jason H.
Cruiser

Pretty much common sense that moderation is the key. Someone stated earlier in this post that hearing a bike with loud pipes go by the house is not a big deal. Hearing it go by every 10 minutes is annoying. Personally I LOVE the sound of a loud bike...but in moderation. I don't want it to interfere with my conversations or tv or whatever. Volume of the pipes are also a big factor. Some are loud and others are LOUD. Moderation...

Loud pipes + occasional driveby = a smile for a nice sounding bike.
LOUD pipes + repeated driveby = looking for my gun.

Moderation.

Quick Reply: Are we too noisy?