Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we too noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007 | 12:31 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Are we too noisy?

Cable operated baffels could be a good thing to get around this problem, These pipes on my ride have them. I can go from wild to mild with a pull of the cable. But i don't have any computer issues to worry about either

Old 07-21-2007 | 02:10 PM
billiamdollar
Advanced

Thats the problem right there. If riders cared more it wouldnt be so much a problem tone it down past you rnieghbors house, dont rap on your pipes at the itersections. you know, the little things mean so much.
[quote]ORIGINAL: nutsy

but i really dont care what people think.

Old 07-22-2007 | 11:09 AM
Luxe
Tourer

The thing with common courtesy is ............................. it's just not that common!

I "can" make noise and snort around and I do, when I feel comfortable doing so, or when I feel it's may be needed or waranted. However, I try not to stir the chit for no good reason. I guess some folks would get the urge to come out of thier houses or cars to put a stop to the noise they do not appreciate. Not at all unlike how I want to rip the amps & stereos out of the thumping boom box crap cars that make my blood boil!

Old 07-22-2007 | 05:36 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I live in NYC and just the noise of the traffic even at night or VERY early morning hours is very very loud. You have the little jap cars with coffee can mufflers, you have other cars with loud audio systems, trucks, busses, the subway rumbles past all night long, and even though its under the street its loud as hell, aircraft, car horns....and then all the emergency vehicles that seem to be on the go ALL NIGHT. The fact is that with all the other noises going on 24 hours a day, you hardly even notice a H-D with loud pipes. Look heres the deal.....if you want to live like some hermit all nice and safe with your peace and quite to keep you company....MOVE THE HELL OUT OF THE CITY, because I will make as much noise as I see fit to, and I will protect my right to do so!

Old 07-22-2007 | 07:51 PM
philgrocks
Cruiser

For a quick put down the highway, I would like the loud exhaut. I think it does get people to notice you more.

But so far the stock exhaust suits me fine and with a full face helmet I do not have to wear ear plugs. My brother has some really loud exhaust and even with a full face helmet he wears ear plugs. That is too loud!

I believe the motor company is getting crap from the EPA for noise on bikes that get different exhaust after the sale. So they are trying to create messaging around what the EPA wants. Probably trying to avoid more restrictive laws (like they can not do repair work on a cycle with modified exhaust, and must be returned to compliance first)

I see now that Vance & Hines has released EPA compliant exhausts and I think this is great!

Old 07-23-2007 | 09:36 PM
road turtle
Novice

Agree with most of the comments here. We should (and I make it a point to) be considerate of our neighbors with regards to pipes. A word of advice: Make your voice the only thing louder than your pipes. Gun owners learned the hard way that the only true safety in these "personal convenience" issues is safety in numbers. If we don't start to fight back, we will become emasculated pansies just like our Harley-loving brethren in Europe and Australia. (Sorry guys, but its true). Write your Congressman (note that I said "write," not email) register to vote, submit letters to your local newspaper. If we cut down on the buffoonery and increase our message, we will be heard.

Old 07-23-2007 | 11:19 PM
detonator
Road Captain

How has got the new Hog Tails mag. there is a full page dedicated to this S#$T. I must say that if you are crusing down the road on your bikein the blind spot next to a car, they will hear your bike if the pipes are loud!

Old 07-24-2007 | 05:11 AM
Turul
Cruiser

please turn the volume down .........iam trying to sleep

Old 07-24-2007 | 08:32 AM
Kibble
Novice

[quote]ORIGINAL: billiamdollar

Thats the problem right there. If riders cared more it wouldnt be so much a problem. Tone it down past your neighbors house, and dont rap on your pipes at the itersections. The little things mean so much.
ORIGINAL: nutsy

but i really dont care what people think.
It would appear that the lesson about pulling on a dog's tail has been lost by many. If you continue to taunt and annoy people withexcessive noise, they will eventually bite back. At the point wherethe organized majoritydecide that enough is enough,the "i really don't care what people think" attitude will also have to assume the blame for the prohibitive noise laws thatfollow.

Old 07-24-2007 | 09:29 AM
Cav Cop
Tourer

Are we too noisy? What we? I am not.

Factory H-D's are not. Now the aftermarket stuff is subjectable.

I ride in my cage with the windows down and can hear a stock car or bike in a blind spot (and I still do head checks).

I have worked many wrecks where loud pipes did not save lives. Andfew where the loud pipes may have caused the wrecks (old people tend to freak out).Most are riders with little road time, alcohol, or who think lane markings are only for four wheel rides. Few are Harley Riders, and most fall under alcohol.

Most wrecks with bikes are at intersections where your loud pipes dont seem to help. I dont know of many wrecks where a loud pipe would have helped. I know many bike wrecks have more to do with riders who do dunb things and are on sport bikes. Come to think of it I have yet to work a wreck with a Honda Goldwing, and I never hear them on the road...

Many states and citys have noise vioations. Off base from Fort Hood its only $500 per noise violation.So if you want to get fined, arrested, bike impounded then make all the noise you want, just know that others dont respect you or your loud bike.

If you feel its your right to have loud pipes and dont care about others, just remember to treat the guys who have cages with loud bass the same, as most find both anoying when above a normal level. You have no right to gripe about loud bass when you make just as much noise and are proud of your noise.

IMHO most loud pipes are fine, but some who go as loud as they can give the rest a bad rap.

Dont be that 10%'er that give the rest a bad name, and cause more laws to be made.

Quick Reply: Are we too noisy?