Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we too noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006 | 02:57 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Default RE: Are we too noisy?

Taveling down interstate 5 the other day, I had an old women in the lane next to me begin to change lanes right into me. A simple twist of the throttle and the loud bark emitted by my "loud pipes" alerted her to my presence, at which time she cancelled the lane change and gave me my space. Loud pipes do save lives! We have five senses to allert our brain to the conditions around us and sight just doesn't seem to be a funtioning sense when it comes to cars and motorcycles. I certainly don't want them touching or tasting me, and since vision is out of the equation, all that is left is sound and smell. Of these two, sound is the most effective at alerting a driver to my presence.

Old 03-13-2006 | 04:15 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

ORIGINAL: sfcmo357

LR..Hoover--------man, I'm off today; it's about 80 degrees and I'm sitting here drinking a beer and laughing my a$$ off at your avator. Funny
Hey man... PONCH RULES!!!!! hahahahahahaha

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:42 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Geoseismic

Taveling down interstate 5 the other day, I had an old women in the lane next to me begin to change lanes right into me. A simple twist of the throttle and the loud bark emitted by my "loud pipes" alerted her to my presence, at which time she cancelled the lane change and gave me my space. Loud pipes do save lives! We have five senses to allert our brain to the conditions around us and sight just doesn't seem to be a funtioning sense when it comes to cars and motorcycles. I certainly don't want them touching or tasting me, and since vision is out of the equation, all that is left is sound and smell. Of these two, sound is the most effective at alerting a driver to my presence.
As a side note. I find the horn does the same thing

Old 03-14-2006 | 11:26 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

Man--that horn scares me About 5 times louder than my crotch rockets

Old 03-14-2006 | 12:22 PM
plooked
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

Sounds like PANSY CANDY ASSED CRAP from the MoCo to me!
Sounds like appliantologist mumbo-jumbo to me!

p.s. who are all these jack-asses whom think that they are entitled to a silent existence? you get silence when you're dead.

Old 03-14-2006 | 03:44 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

As a side note. I find the horn does the same thing
Oddly enough... when I picked up my bike the horn worked just fine... I actually tested it... On the way home some moron decided a Harley would be a good hood ornament... I went to blast my horn and... nothin... It made this weak dying squirrel sound.

So the exhaust is not a replacement for a horn... and I do liberally use mine when needed... but it is a redundant noise alert system... It's all about the backup. =)

Old 03-14-2006 | 06:46 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Glad to hear you had the exhaust for a backup.
It's been cold riding here in the west, and I ride with thick gortex lined gloves. It's bad enough fumbling to hit the turn signal buttons, let alone the horn button. I usually resort to the more antiquated forms of communication with other drivers, i.e; hand signals and a good twist of the throttle to alert drivers.

Old 03-14-2006 | 08:50 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad to hear you had the exhaust for a backup.
It's been cold riding here in the west, and I ride with thick gortex lined gloves. It's bad enough fumbling to hit the turn signal buttons, let alone the horn button. I usually resort to the more antiquated forms of communication with other drivers, i.e; hand signals and a good twist of the throttle to alert drivers.
actually... my backup alert system shows up Friday courtesy of DirectParts.com... =) I was just stating why some of us are into the loud exhaust for saftey thing... When my horn failed I had to resort to fancy swerving and I just got lucky... Almost had nowhere to go.

Let's face it... We could put force fields around us and the cagers will try and find a way in to get us.

I like loud exhausts for me... it just has extra benefits as far as I am concerned. =)

Old 03-14-2006 | 10:02 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

ORIGINAL: plooked

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

Sounds like PANSY CANDY ASSED CRAP from the MoCo to me!
Sounds like appliantologist mumbo-jumbo to me!

p.s. who are all these jack-asses whom think that they are entitled to a silent existence? you get silence when you're dead.
Hahahahahahaha! Helluva reply.. helluva nick.... helluva bike... nice to meet ya!

Old 03-14-2006 | 10:35 PM
thetwistedsoul
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: sfcmo357

Man--that horn scares me About 5 times louder than my crotch rockets

First, let me say thank you for your service from me and my family. In return for that service nobody should hastle you about you bike or the pipes on it. As a kid growing up, I loved the sound of a Harley, the louder, the better. I know many people that don't ride and don't mind the noise. I know some that ride that do. This is one of those loose loose situations, as those of us that like the loud pipes, and we are THE MAJORITY of Harley owners, are not going to be judged or answer to our peers, we are going to answer to and have our lives dictated to us by people that don't ride. I equate it to the Saccarin/Gun Control debate. Saccarin killed a few lab rats, Guns( or people with them I should say ) were responsible for thousands of deaths. Guess wich one got banned. Am I supporting gun control? NO. The point is that there is power and strength in numbers. The gun owners lobby is big and wealthy. We need to unite and have more say and more power in our situation. But we will not get manufacturer support like Gun owners. Nobody wants to listen to us because we are bikers, therefore we are bad. We are not taken seriously. But let one single mom get on a podium holding her baby, crying how the big bad biker with the loud pipes disturbed little Johnny's nap. That is what gets the press. How often does a Toy's for Tots or MD Run make National news, or how much money bikers raise and donate to charities? NEVER. So in all this rambling (sorry) my point is this: Don't like guns, don't buy one, don't like loud pipes, don't buy them. But who the hell am I to tell you you can't do either. When that happens, the freedom that sfcmo357 and others have fought for was for nothing. Thank you for your time, and thank you to all the men and women who have fought for my right and your right to have an opinion.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7566/4AAD5193E61146969D94D4E46271E6EC.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Are we too noisy?