Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we too noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006 | 03:06 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Default RE: Are we too noisy?

I also live in the country, but I didn't move there to escape the noise and fast pass life of the city. I have always lived out from town. I personally enjoy hearing a bike with a good sounding pipe passing tru my area. To me that is part of living out where you can hear the cows, chickens, horses and an occasional loud exhaust that only last for a few seconds. My neighbors tell me they like to hear me rumble in, knowing that I have made it thru another day of dealing with people who think everybody that has aftermarket pipes, regardless of how loud or quiet they are deserves a ticket.

Old 03-12-2006 | 03:34 PM
RetroHarley
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 1analguy
motor vehicle operation in our country is and always has been a privilege, not a right.

...then you apparently believe that you live somewhere other than the USA.
How's your blood pressure there 1analguy? Had any heart attacks recently? For god's sake, when you worry this much about what everybody else does or says, you will not last long.

Live and let live, quit trying to inflict your views and opinions onto EVERYONE else. I installed a HD Air Horn that is loud as hell and I will use it when I need to, tired of people not seeing me or feeling like I don't matter. Does that violate your sensitivity scale too?

Too bad, why don't you have those cops you want to run around with decible meters standing at every intersection watching for cagers blowing red lights, running stop signs or just flat out pulling out in front of people?

Noise isn't a problem if YOU don't let it bother YOU!

Old 03-12-2006 | 03:46 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

Politeness! Many people don't utilize it...regardless of whether you're in a Honda Civic blasting music with cuss words while sitting at the stop light while I have my 7 year old daughter and wife in my truck beside you.......or revving your bike with no baffles while sitting at the stop light directly beside me while I have my window down.....blowing cigarette smoke in others' faces while talking to them...tailgating others whether they're on a bike or in a car (ooh; at night with brights on)......

I roll down my driveway and don't crank it wide open until I clear those who don't want to be awakened at 5am......I don't want to disrespect your kids, spouses, moms, etc....so I pay close attention to the music I play and how loud it is.....while smoking my cigars----I take caution not to burden you with my habit..........I will not use profanity around your kids because I don't use it around mine....and if I'm having a get together at my home at night on the weekend----I let my neighbors know in advance and tell them if it gets too loud; please let me know and I turn the volume of everything down at a particular time. I love my loud music...most of it doesn't include profanity----but my neighbors shouldn't have to hear it Sat morning as I wash my truck. And sometimes I watch the clock trying to determine whether I've waited long enough before I go out and cut the grass and weed eat.........all of my neighbors exercise this sort of politeness

Yep; it's America The Great.........and I've protected it twice thusfar.........I sure don't agree with most of what Congress fights for or against..........but America The Great gives us certain ways to speak against them......some are just too busy to take the time out to voice opinions the proper way.......Smokers complain about not being able smoke in most places...but I don't want my wife and daughter inhailing that as we try to enjoy dinner---so I don't even smoke my cigars in my own house or truck at all. Yes; more police we need...but having more people just obey the laws that are already in place would reduce the need for more police...more metal detectors in public schools could help; but parents who spend more time with their kids and know everything about them could help more. If this "loud pipes" thing is lost............maybe it's because those who voiced their opinions the proper way out numbered those who didn't know of the proper way, or who just complained about those who exercised their rights in America The Great.

Having said that...."I do love my V&H"

I'm prepared to have anyone agree to disagree with me...it's cool!! Because we all have the right to voice our opinions especially if we're attacking the content of what's being said and not the individual.

Old 03-12-2006 | 04:49 PM
Firefox
|
Cruiser

My hats off to you sfcmo357 Thank you for your insight and your service to your country and the people who live here.

Old 03-12-2006 | 05:03 PM
jakblu
Advanced

[sm=exactly.gif] I agree 100%, To me it is not a matter of how loud it is, It's the way that some people use it.

Old 03-12-2006 | 07:13 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

OMG... this topic is getting beat to death lately... There is a post in almost every section of this forum...

I just bought my V&H Big Shot staggered the other day... They get installed next week.

I have Flow Masters on my truck...

I have cat-back on my Fiero...

Now I am going to have louder pipes on my HOG...

The problem is NOT the decibles... It is the imbiciles. The morons that feel that they have to do burn outs at lights, rev their engines like mad at stop lights, and generally make total @$$es of themselves.

I leave for work around 6-6.5 every morning... Even with my stock pipes I try not to jump on the throttle leaving the neighborhood.

I dunno... I am worried the V&Hs ae going to be too loud for me... If they get that way I will put in the quiet baffles... But even with those the bike will have better airflow than stock... And for the comment of, "Mine sounds like a Harley everyone elses don't..." Dude... whatever.. You're right... The bike did come fully neutered from the factory... Not neutered for sound... neutered for performance. And performance does NOT mean ripping the rubber off the bike. Performance is a lot of things... Throttle response, gas mileage, etc.... That is why I am making the change... And to be honest, I do like the lower rumble and louder sound.

So you want to talk about saftey? In the current config of my bike I have SERIOUS throttle lag... That can be a real killer in the right/wrong circumstance. I have asked about it at the dealership and I have been told that part of it is the engine just not getting enough air. And you know what? I believe them. I had the same issue on my truck until I went to the new exhaust and larger intake. Engines need to breath... most stock engines do NOT do that... My truck went from a 1" air intake port to a 5" air intake port. Guess which one works better?

I have also ridden several other "stock" harley motorcycles in the last few months and they all have the throttle lag I am describing.

Noise is not the problem... Lack of respect for other people is. And I think in general most people on this site are probably considerate of their fellow man (And woman). This goes back to the whole 1% thing.

I guess I am just lucky to live in the country... And in a county that is not **** retentive about exhaust. As far as I am concerned... as long as people's exhaust are not pushing tons of black ick into the atmosphere I am cool... And yeah.. my neighbor has a habbit of revving his BigDog, Vette, Impala, and work truck at stupid hours of the night... I asked him to stop and he did... now I just have to talk his friends into stopping that crap...

If you had loud pipes and a neighbor asked you to take it easy would you tell them to go and pound sand? Probably not... You would try to keep it down... and if they were just being unreasonable about it? Oh well... They need to get a sense of humor about it... And that same jack@$$ that is probably complaining about your pipes is the same person that comes crusing into the 'hood cranking some craptastic music.

Can't we all just get along?

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:45 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

I'm with ya postal............and I love my flowmasters and cold air intake too

I have the quiet baffles in my BS Staggered.........there is a tremendous difference. The difference noticed by most is not the loudness....it's the fact that those baffles make the sound deeper with a lot more bass

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:58 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior

so is the epa and the tree hugger m-----f------'s going to stop all the honda's and other cars like them with that annoying 5" muffler pipe out the back to?i think there's more of them out there then us.yeah there's so much smog coming out of our motors please.just like politician's when they see someone else making $$ they have to jump on the wagon.if the boom in motorcyling didn't exist like it is today they would've never bothered with a law that actually been around for years!

Old 03-13-2006 | 01:50 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

Personally.. i think stock H-D's sound more like VW Microbuses.... horrible...
And that's the reason I put on my ThunderHeaders...

Old 03-13-2006 | 02:29 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

LR..Hoover--------man, I'm off today; it's about 80 degrees and I'm sitting here drinking a beer and laughing my a$$ off at your avator. Funny

Quick Reply: Are we too noisy?