Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we too noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007 | 05:22 PM
txcomp
Cruiser
Default RE: Are we too noisy?

I’ve been following this thread and others like it on other boards and this is all starting to have that very de-ja-vue ring to it.

The guys on the off-road boards were having this exact same discussion 2-3 years ago when 4 strokes started really catching on. Their attitude was “Sc*&^w em!! I can run what I want, where I want and nobody can tell me otherwise. Besides, louder means it’s more powerful!” Those riders found that they were very very wrong on many levels. People started filing lawsuits to get public riding areas (read national forests) closed to off-road recreation. After they were through with the first round of filings and successful closures, they then started filing lawsuits against public and private motocross courses located near (and sometimes not very near) neighborhoods. Most of the MX parks were closed due to court order or bankruptcy due to fighting the lawsuit. Now the people who hate all the noise are back in court filing more suits against public riding areas again, this time they are targeting private and semi-private riding areas. It looks like they are still making headway too as a lot of the places I used to ride off-road are no longer usable for off-road recreation. This has also affected the snowmobiling, mudding and rock crawling crowds due to their affiliation with the off-road motorcyclists.

I’m sure at least one of you have thought “that doesn’t affect me cause I’m on the street” and that is true, but, when was the last time you went to a rally?? Here in Northwest Arkansas, we have a little get together called Bikes Blues and BBQ that is held in downtown Fayetteville, AR. There has been a LOT of rumbling lately from the neighborhoods around Dixon St about all of the noise and commotion from the rally. True, the rally brings a ton of money to the city and that is the ONLY thing that is keeping the rally from being run out of town according to the people I have talked to. Now, what if the money wasn’t there?? I’d bet the rally wouldn’t be either.

OK, what if you never go to a rally and don’t ride with groups?? I work as a Rider’s Edge instructor at our local Harley shop. We’re also starting to have problems with the neighbors “grumbling” about noise from “Joe average Harley Rider”. This is especially prevalent during our special events when there are a lot of bikes in attendance. I’ve also recently seen some of the guys with “open” pipes getting hassled by the police for violating the noise ordnances that are already on the books (though un-enforced). The cops usually sit about 2-3 blocks down from the shop on side streets when the guys are going through the gears leaving the shop. These ordnances were put in place when all of the kids were booming around in their mini trucks with huge stereos in the early and mid 90’s.

You may or may not know that there are ways to currently harass people with loud pipes already put in to law. Some of the ordnances are unenforceable (being able to hear the stereo at 50 feet) and some take officer training (using decibel meters to measure sound at a set distance) but all will cause you to be harassed and sometimes ticketed. Additionally, all it takes is scaring the hell out of one well connected old lady (or man), annoying some other public official (like the sheriff or chief of police) or being such a nuisance that a lot of people start complaining to their elected officials and bad things start to happen. The bad part is, you may be the most unassuming rider in the world with “kinda loud pipes” and get caught up in this mess by default created by other people who don’t care just because you ride a particular brand of motorcycle due to stereotyping. To qualify that statement I’ll tell you what happ

Old 08-07-2007 | 02:42 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

ORIGINAL: nutsy

i just wouldnt enjoy the ride as much if i didnt hear that harley rumble. my bikes a little loud but i really dont care what people think. also loud pipes save lives. a harley gotta sound like a harley imo.
Yup, and that is the idea behind all that BS. People don't like motorcycle noise because they are constantly being told how terrible it is and that anyone who likes it are infidels. Large numbers of riders won't ride much or may give it up entirely because of the ever increasing restrictions and deprive idiot cagers of a number of very expensive targets, saving the insurance companies billions.
I expect that the same sort of thing applies to airports. Used to be that there were zoning restrictions that prevented land developers from throwing up cheap houses near these. Then property values began to change, so zoneing changes are made, dozens of cheesebox houses start popping up and the new residents start petitioning to get the airport closed down. Then the city sells all that prime acrage for top doller and makes a fortune.

Old 08-07-2007 | 02:58 AM
jblksmith1
Cruiser

The sound of a harley with aftermarket rumble...I dream of the rinehart fairy creeping up and attaching a brand new set to my baby while I sleep. As an LEO I believe you can have loud pipes and still be polite. The MoCo sells us out every chance they get. Don't tell new buyers that there bikes will run hotter than hell without a little extra part added here and there. Oh, honey, that will void your warranty, blah, blah. I am so sick of it.
My mom is 61. When a Harley roars by in the woods where we live she leans over and says, "Did you hear that", with a twinkle in her eye. Hell, my neigbors complained that my donkey brayed too loud. What's next?

Old 08-07-2007 | 11:52 AM
Aces N Eights

While I read almost every post, I have a question. What does the Environmental Protection Agency have to do with loud bikes? What about vehicles that smoke up entire intersection when they accelerate? I just don't get it? Noise pollution? If that is the reason, what about semi-truck who use their Jake Brakes, booming music (I know some states have laws about music) Noise doesn't harm the environment, it is temporary. EPAs efforts should be focused on chemical plants polluting our waters, distroying our forrests and more important things like that. A loud bike is not going to pollute drinking water, distroy forrests. May **** off a neighbor but so does barking dogs. Is the EPA going after dogs next? Have the owners remove their voice boxes or make them wear barking baffles? Come on! Todays neighbors and quite a few other people in general get wrapped around an axle over nothing. Lets preserve the heritage of this piece of land; it was sacred. What about preserving the heritage of the HDs! People today are way to sensitive, they get their poor feelings hurt. Politically correctness; BS! If a person can't walk they are physically challenged; no he is crippled. If a person can't hear then he is audibly challenged; no he is deaf. When will this stop. If the EPA mandates quet pipes on my HD then my bike becomes vocally challenged; no, MUTE!!

07HC

Old 08-07-2007 | 10:04 PM
txcomp
Cruiser

I hear ya Heritage and you nailed it right on the head (IMHO) that people are too sensetive. It's waaay too easy to call the police, take the person to court, call in a favor of a friend of a friend who plays golf with a person on the city council when something annoys you.

Old 08-07-2007 | 10:28 PM
road turtle
Novice

Here's the deal, though. It really doesn't take much effort to not go blasting out of your driveway at 6 am and rattle the china in your neighbor's house. I agree with you: liberals and the politically correct automatons of the new age can all kiss my ***. I also love loud pipes. But let's keep it to a somewhat muted roar until we HAVE TO fight the battle. If we police ourselves at a basic level and show common respect, this issue will not have to be dealt with for many years, instead of next year.

Old 08-07-2007 | 11:11 PM
Aces N Eights

Next the EPA will mandate baffles for dogs so they don't bark too loud and disturb neighbors.
My pipes give my HD a sound it was born to have and when I can no longer enjoy it, I will find something else to make noise, maybe a drumset in my garage. I remember when neighbors used to get together and talk, have block parties and if there was a riff, it was handled peacefully. Why? Because you knew each other. Now adays, we just live next to each other and an occassion friendly wave is all that exists. I know my neighbors because I made the effort to get to know them. Most I like and hang out with one or two can KMA!

07HC