Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bike do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006 | 02:33 PM
natas638
|
Advanced
Default Which bike do you recommend?

I currently own a '05 Sportster 1200 R (Roadster) but I want to upgrade. Which bike would you recommend out of the following? Soft tail Deuce, Soft tail Standard, or Road King. Those are the bikes I like in my price range. I'm kinda leaning towards the Standard because it has the fat tire and bob tail fender which I like, plus it's the cheapest. But the Deuce is chromed up nice and has a nicer tank. The Road King is probably the most practical with comfort and the bags etc...I don't know because this is the only street bike I've ever owned, and you guys definitly know more than me. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Old 03-05-2006 | 04:03 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Default RE: Which bike do you recommend?

It all depends on what you want to do. If you plan on doing allot of touring go for the Road King. The softails have the most options in customizing. The difference between the Standard and Deuce is just personel preference. The deuce does not have the 200 rear tire!

Old 03-05-2006 | 04:25 PM
JeffD
Tourer

If I was to buy all over again, I would buy a Night Train, and chrome it out. I know it goes against what people here think, but this way I would get the black motor, and rear fender, and tank I like. I have to live with what I bought for a long time, so some day in the future, my silver motor in my Standard will come out, and be painted black.

Old 03-05-2006 | 04:50 PM
Scott FXSTI
Cruiser

I have a Standard and I love it.

As ChopperHammer666 said, it is all about your own tastes and what you want to do.

Old 03-05-2006 | 05:18 PM
jakblu
Advanced

I have rode a Standard with the 200mm tire and own a Deuce. To me the Deuce just looks better with the chrome instead of the dull gray and handles about the same. Just my .02 cents
As mentioned, The train would be a good choice too.

Old 03-05-2006 | 05:29 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

ORIGINAL: natas638

I currently own a '05 Sportster 1200 R (Roadster) but I want to upgrade. Which bike would you recommend out of the following? Soft tail Deuce, Soft tail Standard, or Road King. Those are the bikes I like in my price range. I'm kinda leaning towards the Standard because it has the fat tire and bob tail fender which I like, plus it's the cheapest. But the Deuce is chromed up nice and has a nicer tank. The Road King is probably the most practical with comfort and the bags etc...I don't know because this is the only street bike I've ever owned, and you guys definitly know more than me. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, John
The standard is an awsome base to do a great "personalized" bike off of. It has a great platform, plenty of option's and not very much $$ to get into. I have a buddy who bought a black standard, put a Fatboy rear fender some big apes and a chrome engine package on it. He slammed it and put a low profile solo seat on it. It looked bad @$$ and not like any other.

A Deuce has a different rear fender and a longer more slender tank. It is also a great platform, however if you change the fender or tank it kinda change's the whole "Duece" thing ya know what I mean?

A Road King is also very awsome it is super comfy, plenty of room for touring, and has a great look. This is in my opinion your best bet IF you are going for the whole touring thing. If you are going for shorter around town and only an ocasinal long trip, then you may not want all of the dress of the RK. Hope this help's you make a choice. Wich ever one yo ubuy there is a spot for you here on the forum. Check out the picture in my sig, it is an '06 Road King Classic maybe that will give you another idea.

KB

Old 03-05-2006 | 05:38 PM
jdag
Tourer

Not sure if I will be much help...or just confuse matters more!

My 1st HD was a 2002 Fat Boy. I put a windshield on that bike, and had saddlebags that were sometimes on, sometimes off. That bike fit me the best (I am short) and was the bike I probably felt the most secure on.

My 2nd HD was a 2002 Deuce. That bike was my favorite to ride and look at. It was the most nimble and had to me the coolness factor. But I could not bring myself to add bags or a windshield, which to me ruined the look. That bike was pretty low to the ground as well once I added the Corbin seat, so fit me well.

My current bike, a 2006 Street Glide, is by far the most comfortable for longer distances. Between the fairing, radio, and large saddlebags, I can easily go on 200 mile day trips, ride to work with my laptop in the bags, comfortably ride with a 1/2 helmet without ear plugs, etc. The SG would be closest to the Road King choice.

So t ocut to the chase...the tourer for comfort, long trips, and more "practicality" as an every-day vehicle. The Deuce for sleekness and fun.

Old 03-05-2006 | 05:38 PM
SD2240
Novice

Id definitely go with the Road King.

Old 03-05-2006 | 05:44 PM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain

Everything that has been said I agree & will not wast time repeating. The bottom line is you need to seriously ride all 3. Not just sit on. Take for a long demo ride and experience the motorcycle. You can change seat and bars or a sheetmetal look if you want to spend a lot. You have to enjoy RIDING & LOOKING at the bike YOU choose. Think about it!!!

Old 03-05-2006 | 11:37 PM
voodoo93
Road Warrior

There have been some excellent suggestions here - definitely decide what you want to do with your bike and then ride them all - no wwith that being said I say get the Deuce

Quick Reply: Which bike do you recommend?