Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bike do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006 | 01:07 AM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Which bike do you recommend?

I bought a standard just before they went fat [&o]. Should have waited another six months. The money I saved between the chrome and black models and the standard I used on engine mods. She really goes now like a Harley should. I'll keep it a couple more years and trade it on six speed and fatter forks which are said to be the next changes for the standard.

Old 03-06-2006 | 09:37 AM
deluxe
Cruiser

I take it you have taken each in turn out for a good test ride. IMHO thats the only way to know if the bike 'fits' you.

The Road King is a great bike and ideal for highways but if you do a lot of in town riding it may be too large.

Don't rule out the other Softails. If you test ride one of these it may change your mind again.

Don't mean to confuse you even more.

Good luck with you decision. I spent ages trying to decide, and still want more. One is just not enough.

Old 03-06-2006 | 10:26 PM
gasman
Cruiser

IT seems to me you left out the most important bike that may fit all your needs. The Fatboy! confortable seat, detachable bags and windshield and you have a cruiser and a touring model.

Old 03-06-2006 | 10:55 PM
L night train
Advanced

night train with a little chrome

Old 03-12-2006 | 01:34 PM
natas638
|
Advanced

I really appreciate all of your opinions. My real problem is that I have ridden each of the bikes I stated I was interested in, and have found that I would probably be equally as happy with anyone of them. I just wanted your opinions on the bike/bikes you have or have owned. I know I've owne some things in my day which I thought were good only to find out that for the same price or close to the same price I could've gotten something a lot more my style or better fit for me. Thanks for your replies. Keep 'em comin I'm gonna take them all into consideration when I place my order for my new bike.

Old 03-12-2006 | 09:52 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't make your final decision until you've been on a Fat Boy!

Old 03-13-2006 | 01:01 AM
fisherdude
Cruiser

I know a lot of guys like the black engine on the deuce and train but how easy is that to clean? And if you read through some of the threads in this section you'll find that a lot of the parts in the softail section of the wish book don't fit the Deuce. I'd lean towards the standard.....But then, thats what I got

Old 03-13-2006 | 01:28 AM
itsahog
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: fisherdude

I know a lot of guys like the black engine on the deuce and train but how easy is that to clean?
Actually a black engine is WAY easier to clean. I know, I had them both.[:-]

Old 03-13-2006 | 01:33 AM
rhinoevans
Tourer

Road King, the perfec bike. My train is a killer on a long trip. Of course, this is coming from someone who DOES NOT own a RK.

Old 03-13-2006 | 08:54 AM
FBFletch
Road Master

Well, obviously my first choice would be the Fatboy. But, since that's not on the list, I'd have to go with the Standard. Quite honestly, if I were going to choose a touring bike, I'd go with the Ultra Classic. I know it's a bit more money than the RK but, having ridden both, I'd pay the extra. But, that's MY personal preference. Yours may be different.

Bottom line is, it's a personal decision that no one else should make for you. As Gene pointed out, go road test as many as you can get your hands on and then decide which one is going to be best for your riding style and your needs. Ride them all without looking at the prices and decide which one you REALLY want. Then work on making the money end of it happen. You'll never regret your decision.

Quick Reply: Which bike do you recommend?