Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice please

Fatboy versus Deluxe- pros and cons for touring - any comments? Want the Fatboy but Deluxe seems more versatile - don't want Heritage

Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Advice please

Please describe how you think the Deluxe is more versatile than the Fat Boy? Dont understand your reasoning. Either one youll need to add stuff.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deluxe has the triple lights in front, also seems to have more aftermarket stuff for it when I search on HD Website.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
gum
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both bikes are great. My buddy Rides a Deluxe, me a Fattie and neither of us would&nbsp\\;trade for the other. The Fattie has lots of versatility and enough after market goodies to send you into the poor house. I think it converts into a more cumfy touring bike than the Deluxe since it is fatter but I'm a big guy&nbsp\\;and like the larger spread. And it looks better with a 2 into 1 exhaust.
If you like the old school look then the Deluxe is for you. If you you go for something you can&nbsp\\;modify into something totally your own with a more contemporary chunky&nbsp\\;look then it's the Fattie.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my ride it was between the Heritage and Deluxe. Take bags, windshield, passenger pillion off the Heritage and you basically have a Deluxe. Too bad you don't want a Heritage, but the Fatboy or Deluxe will be just great too!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
07deluxe
Road Captain

Both bikes are in the softail family, pretty much the same frames. I feel their both equal as to riding comfort, more of a cruising bike in my opinion. I haven't tried out the new FB with the larger tires to give my opinion on it. I choose my bike due to the looks, most accessories are available for both bikes. If you want a true touring bike Harley makes those too. Ive gone the distance on my deluxe and wouldnt trade it for another (at this moment!)

Old 06-18-2008, 07:15 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you plan on using the Deluxe as a touring bike I assume you would want to put bags and a windshield on it.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Other than different handlebars you have essentially&nbsp\\;created a Heritage except the seat will not be as comfortable.&nbsp\\; And if you want something other than the small stock Deluxe bags you'll have to change your pipes out.
&nbsp\\;
IMO,&nbsp\\; a RK would be better suited for touring while at the same time giving you cruiser looks.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Cactus_FTW
Road Captain

Suggestion ...if you can afford to...rent and ride both, then decide.&nbsp\\; Nothing like feeling it for yourself.&nbsp\\; My $.02

Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM
FATBOYUSA
Tourer

I have a 2008 FATBOY and I decked it out for touring. I have the new HARLEY DAVIDSON FATBOY saddle bags, sissy bar with oversized pad, luggage rack, and even the HARLEY DAVIDSON ROAD TECH RADIO {WHICH IS AWESOME AND HAS A IPOD PLUG} the radio is not in my signature pic yet. The wide tires and 775 pounds make it ride awesome. I've ridden 13 1/2 hours in a day and didn't even have a sore butt. The stock seat and passenger pillion are very wide and very comfortable.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
BigJohn Fatboy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They are both pretty much the same bike.&nbsp\\; Me personally, as you can see from the pic below, I am partial to the Fatty.
&nbsp\\;
Really need to look at what you want.&nbsp\\; It's a hell of an investment, and you will continue to invest.
&nbsp\\;
I've run over 700 miles at a time without a problem on the fatty, but would probably had a better time on an Ultra.&nbsp\\; Then again, I look at the simplicity of the Fatty.&nbsp\\; Suites my needs.