Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Baffles from stock pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Removing Baffles from stock pipes

A guy on the forum was selling a bracket to make the vance and hines big radius work on the rocker.
Yeah it was Gib. I used them on mine and they worked perfectly. Heres the link https://www.hdforums.com/m_3037006/mpage_6/tm.htm

Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Rocker SB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to a Vance and Hines Tech...the bracket is made to make the existing big radius pipes "fit" on the Rocker but the issue is with clearances.&nbsp\\; The problem is that the pipes are too close to the oil box and oil lines with the current design.&nbsp\\; This will cause the bike to run hotter than usual possible causing engine problems in the long run.&nbsp\\; My dealer said the same thing and that if they determine any future problems that may stem from that they would not honor the warranty.&nbsp\\; Blah, Blah, Blah...I'm new to all of this, so I'm just trying to do my own research.&nbsp\\; The guys at V&amp\\;H say that they are working on the modified pipes and that they should be available in July.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I love the look of these pipes on this bike, so I think it's worth the wait if they get it right!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

&nbsp\\;V&amp\\;H will get it right be patient Gud advice about keepin stock stuff U never know........

Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
aleut2
Stage II

Originally Posted by DrawDown
Ummmm am I missing something? A guy on the forum was selling a bracket to make the vance and hines big radius work on the rocker. That would be your best bet with no waiting if he is still making them. Pretty sure that was the only hitch with the standard big radius for other softails, and he solved that problem. Or if you wanna wait for vance and hines to make the same bracket...to each his own.
Originally Posted by tnharley7
If&nbsp\\;you&nbsp\\;want a little more sound from the stock pipes, you can make them sound comparable to the SE slip-ons for about $10 and 30min of effort.Go to the local hardware store and buy a metal hole saw and a drill bit extension.&nbsp\\; Take the mufflers off and measure the diameter of the opening at the connection end. You need&nbsp\\;the biggest&nbsp\\;metal cutting hole saw that will fit down the opening, but turn freely. I believe it was a 1 3/8". All you do from this point is drill until the plug falls out the other end. You're not really drilling the baffle, just the&nbsp\\;quarter sized plug in the end.&nbsp\\;
Took your advice on drilling the plugs out I used a 1/14 hole saw with my stock 2009 FX slip ons. I can not belive how easy it was and it sounds absolutly awsome deep sound and throughty better than alot of bikes I heard whale aout on rides with much more expencive upgrad exhaust. I have no plan as of now, of even looking for other pipes thies are the ones. also quite enough to talk to your friends when riding crusing but barks nice and loud when you wont it to. All I can say is great advice any body thinking about it don't wait just do it. You'll be glad you did you probobly will put off buying those pricey pipes your looking at .And if your not up grading the air cleaner your good to go.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:25 PM
aleut2
Stage II

Took your advice on drilling the plugs out I used a 1/14 hole saw with my stock 2009 FX slip ons. I can not belive how easy it was and it sounds absolutly awsome deep sound and throughty better than alot of bikes I heard whale aout on rides with much more expencive upgrad exhaust. I have no plan as of now, of even looking for other pipes thies are the ones. also quite enough to talk to your friends when riding crusing but barks nice and loud when you wont it to. All I can say is great advice any body thinking about it don't wait just do it. You'll be glad you did you probobly will put off buying those pricey pipes your looking at .And if your not up grading the air cleaner your good to go.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:56 PM
dinger59
Stage III
Default Pictures

Do yopu have any pics of exactly you drilled out

Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
mrdeere1959
Advanced

which end of the muffler are you drilling from?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by dinger59
Do you have any pics of exactly you drilled out
Take this, 1 1/4" hole saw on a 12 inch extension:

Shove it up the exit of the muffler. Drill out the metal plug. It takes 30 seconds each muffler and will look like this when your done.

It will be louder than it was, but not louder than drag pipes and not even as loud as most aftermarket performance mufflers. It will have a bit of a wheezy sound, but no where near as wheezy as the anemic stock mufflers.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 07-31-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM
dinger59
Stage III
Default Remove baffles

Thanks for pics that looks quite easy. Can you actually unbolt baffles to remoce, modify a little then reinstall?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:17 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by dinger59
Thanks for pics that looks quite easy. Can you actually unbolt baffles to remove, modify a little then reinstall?
I have tried over the years on various stock Harley mufflers to get the baffles out. I have never been able too. Maybe others have, but I have always been unsuccessful. I'm sure there are forum members here that cold answer that question better than me.