Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel/Toe Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 PM
KY23
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heel/Toe Shifter Question

Wait until your 1,000 mile service and put in a quality synthetic and Nuetral will be much easier to find. If you put too much oil in the primary it also makes it a bitch to find. When my bike was new I couldn't find nuetral with the engine running...now a bunch of miles later its simple.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:07 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have ever ridden in traffic a lot and done a bunch of shifting in one day or one weekend, the top side of the old toes tend to get tender. I learned a long time ago when this happens to just start doing all the up shifting with the heel. Takes a little getting used to but it sure is easier on the toes in the long haul.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 PM
renoa18
Tourer

It takes some time to break in the transmission to find neutral. I have found that I can use the heel shifter and when I go fromfirst to neutral instead of depressing it like I am shifting I just give it a light tap and it goes into neutral. I find it harder to use the toe shifter to find neutral I like the old heel.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:30 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This being my first with heal toe shifter it was strange until i readjusted the toe position and the heal position. I use a nostalgic on the toe and the stock on the heal. When i wear shorter boots i use the toe only. when i wear the Harley dress riding boots i use the heal and toe. I place the heal on the rear peg and keep it down until the next shift and let it up and back down. I like the heal shifter as a rest for the boots.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:46 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a metric that had a bit of a stiff shift. It had a heal/toe and ended up being easier to shift with the heal. I got used to it have beenusing the heal with my Fat Boy.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lose the heel part. Not only is it awkward to shift with it, at least for me, the heel shifter is always in the way when I want to move my feet around. When I got my Heritage, heel shifter removal was the first mod.
Marsh

Old 05-31-2008, 01:57 AM
bdejong11129
Cruiser

I never had one on my old bikes but I love mine. It took me about a week or so to get used to it and now I love it. For me I find it very easy to use, give it some time and if after that you dont like it remove it. I think thats the coolest thing about the Harleys, you can do almost anything you want to them to make each one "yours".

Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer

Dude stick with the heel toe shifter.....I was hesitant at first and now Im a believer.....As far as the neutral dilemma this is my second HD and its just one of those things that Ive come to accept, its just hard to find neutral sometimes, it takes a little finesse

Old 05-31-2008, 07:00 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before I even picked up my Road King I already had the Heel shift eliminator kit from Kuryakyn. I was never a fan of the heel shift.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:36 AM
RoadDog2105
Novice

Took me a few rides to get used to the heel shifter but no problems after. I ended up taking mine off as I needed more foot room and liked it much better. I put it back on as I had my ankle joint fused (motocross injury) and I had to much pain trying to shift with the toe. All healed now so I took heel shifter off. I llike it much better that way.

Quick Reply: Heel/Toe Shifter Question