Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunky Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008 | 11:48 AM
bdejong11129
|
Cruiser
Default Clunky Shifting

Yes I did a search, and yes I found some topics and talk about that this is just a "Harley Thing".

At times, not all the time but most of the time when I down shift, the gears dont grind but it clunks or thuds or whatever you want to call it. At times its really loud. My wife noticed it in her pegs the first tiem we rode the bike, she asked about the thud when I downshifted.

Now other times it drops into gear with little more than a click. Its mostly an anoyance when approaching a second gear turn from being in a higher gear and as I downshift to get into second its banging away. I am always waiting for it to drop out of the bike.[8D]

I dont really care about how loud it is but it cant be good for the gears. if this is truely a "Harley Thing" then is there an explination for why it happens? I have had several "off brand" bikes and none of them were as solid of a thud as this. Yes, the Harley is a "Iron" bike so it should do everything lounder. meaner, and badder(is that a word).

So does this happen to others and has anyone found a problem realted to this that I should be aware of?

Old 05-30-2008 | 12:13 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: Clucky Shifting

You sure you aren't downshifting at too high a speed. I'm usually at 45, 35, 25, 15. Also, you need to make sure your RPM's are down before you downshift.

Old 05-30-2008 | 12:14 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

The clunk is the confirmation of the shift. It's normal.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-30-2008 | 12:58 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

This must be normal on HD....when I first got the bike I was like WTF?? I never owned a bike that made such a loud clunk/noise when shifting... can someone tell me that all HD do this????

Old 05-30-2008 | 01:00 PM
anubisss
Banned

Just the way it is. I still am not used to it several years later.

Old 05-30-2008 | 01:18 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

Once you ride nothing but a Harley for several years you won't even notice it.
You also might try switching to 20-50 synthetic in the gear case. I've been running that for a year now and swifts are smooth and finding neutral is a snap.
Marsh

Old 05-30-2008 | 02:17 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior

The lube in the tranny DOES make a difference, but they are loud at the best of times.

Old 05-30-2008 | 02:22 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

good to hear.....cause finding neutral takes an act of God..lol

ORIGINAL: Marsh

You also might try switching to 20-50 synthetic in the gear case. I've been running that for a year now and swifts are smooth and finding neutral is a snap.
Marsh

Old 05-30-2008 | 02:43 PM
bdejong11129
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Marsh

Marsh
Did the change to full syn 20-50 (Mobile-1 VTwin) a month ago.

The clunk is the confirmation of the shift. It's normal.
Thats funny....They should put that in the service manual so we done worry about it.

You sure you aren't downshifting at too high a speed. I'm usually at 45, 35, 25, 15. Also, you need to make sure your RPM's are down before you downshift.
Yup, I have tried different speeds before shifting, for instance I am going about 45 down the road and going to make a right hand turn. As I approach I let off the gas, start on the front brake slow down to say 35, pull in the clutch drop from 4th to 3rd, keep the clutch in littel more brake add a little rear brake and once I am at teh corner speed I drop into 2nd.

Sometimes it clunks like its going to drop right out and others the clicking of the shifter ratchet is all I hear.

I know everyone says its jsut a Harley Thing but man I cringe everytime. I keep thinking its my fault. The trans feels nice and tight, its now got over 25k on it, there is no slop anywhere so.....

Old 05-30-2008 | 02:57 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

If you are running 20W-50 in your transmission, you should probably switch to 75W-90 either Mobil 1 or Amsoil fully synthetic.

Quick Reply: Clunky Shifting