Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach/Speedo combo for my Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
racngrn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach/Speedo combo for my Fatboy

I wanted to let interested folks know that I recieved and installed my HD combination speedo/tach today ( traditional face like the stock one). I had it loaded with current mileage when I ordered it and was told it would take about three weeks. Took one week. Pretty simple install with one harness plug. Just ahve to guard the tank for scratching , especially if you're alone doing it. I was told by the dealer that there would be two screws on the backside that hold the retaining ring in place. They weren't there but the tabs that they appear to belong in are generally used to line up the speedo so its perfectly centered. Not sure if the screws are needed or not ( though the original one never popped out). It works great , though the tach is a bit sluggish and almost mechanical in the way it responds to revs). I haven't riden the bike yet but it should be fine. You can adjust colors on the backlight to whatever you like ( or can see best). My bike is candy red and the red options didn;t seem very easy to read. Went with a bright blue instead. Cool. For you Fatboy owners ( mine's a 2008) , this is a great tach option and is simple to install. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Later, Steve

Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
ickeyeddie
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tach/Speedo combo for my Fatboy

Good info racngrn . I was planing on going the same but with the spun aluminum face . I was wondering if it was just a simple plug in with everything being there already for the tach .

Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

The reason the tach seems a little slow is because the speedo, odometer,trip meters, and tach are all updated through a singleserial data line. So it gets updated at timedintervals instead of using a continuous signal that a normal devorced tach would use.
If your just crusing along you'll never notice it. But twist thethrottle hardand the needlewill seem to jump up in stages like its sticking.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
renoa18
Tourer

It is real easy to install the only thing that sucks is the little o-ring that goes between the console and the sppedo. It is a pain in the *** to get the speedo in with out messing up the o-ring and getting it to sit right. I found an easy way is to put a little dab of crazy glue on the o-ring (gasket) and then install the speedo. It takes about 20 min total

Old 05-28-2008, 07:17 AM
fastboy2007
2nd Gear

I have one Tach/Speedo combo in my fatboy, but my dealer install it in 1000 mile service, the problem is that I dont know how to select the color. My speedo light is blue as my bike and Im happy with it, but maybe i would like to change it after a while...I dont have the instructions and cant find any info on the web. could you tell us how it works?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
racngrn
Cruiser

Very simple. Turn switch to auxillairy and depress the blackl reset button. Hold it in until the screen reads "color" . Then as you push in the black button repeatedly, it changes the color slightly. I have a candy red bike, but the red backlight was tough to read ( for me). I thought that the bright blue worked best and still looked awesome. Thanks to others on this thread for the info , especially related to the tach needle reaction speed. Overall, worth the ching. Steve