Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

computer question.....whats the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008 | 06:16 AM
xxxlenxxx
|
Advanced
Default computer question.....whats the deal?

are there any real EFI guys out there who can help me decide? i hear PCIII or the SERT. im going with the SE heavy breather, martin bros striaght pipes. some guys i talk to said i dont even need a tuner............thanks

Old 05-25-2008 | 06:58 AM
Nitram_b4
Advanced
Default RE: computer question.....whats the deal?

depends on the year bike...if you have 02 sensors in the pipes it should adjust the fuel mixture on its own, if not it needs to be tuned

Old 05-25-2008 | 12:03 PM
xxxlenxxx
|
Advanced

08 rocker.....so yor saying im not gonna need the tuner? it'll adjust itself?

Old 05-25-2008 | 12:47 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

The stock 02 sensors will not make any real performance adjustments, the sensors are narrow band and can not adjust as needed.

If all you are doing is AC and Pipes you may be able to get away without a tuner, but you will not be getting max performance out of the bike and it will still be very lean.

There are many opinions on tuners ect. Read the posts. Also American Iron Mag had an article end of last year about tuners and if you need them with just pipes and AC and if I remember 2 of the 4 bikes they dynoed were fine without and remap or tuner. I think the main options are 1. SERT is best, but may be over kill for many bikes and is most expensive (also SERT no longer made is being replaced by HD with another option) 2. PClll, buy it from Fuelmoto and get free MAP, 3. DFO or Fuel Pak ect for fuel only.

Old 05-25-2008 | 05:29 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Get a Thundermax with autotune.

Old 05-26-2008 | 09:45 AM
xxxlenxxx
|
Advanced

i have a sert on oder a my local "STEALER", but could always cancell if i get the right feedback here. of course i want peak performance, i'll even give up mpg for it!! i know gas is at $4.25!!!!

Old 05-27-2008 | 06:00 PM
xxxlenxxx
|
Advanced

after some more reading it seems like i might not need the sert...again im going with martin bros. daisy cutters exhaust with se heavy breather. anybody with a rocker have any advic for me? thanks.....

Old 05-27-2008 | 06:52 PM
hardhead
Tourer

On my bike, i ran theNess air filter and slip on mufflers with NO fuel mgmt for about 3000 miles or so.I never realized jut how poorly it was running until i bought a power commander. Before WOT the engine ticked and pinged a lot, now it doesn't. Throttle response went way up. It runs smoother and a little cooler. Oh BTW my chrome pipes yellowed due the lean mixture without fuel mgmt. If you just get pipes you may be able to skip a pcii or sert or whatever, but with that heavy breather you will definetely want fuel mgmt.

Old 05-27-2008 | 06:53 PM
rsavage
Tourer

I certainly do not profess to be an expert, but I am pretty sure that if you open up both ends (AC and pipes), you will need something that enrichens the air fuel mix. I would check on-line to see if there is a map with your combo available from Dynojet, or contact fuel moto's Jamie to see if he has mapped a similar setup. If there is a map available, the PCIII should be fine, as you can get by without a dyno fine tune if you have the correct map. If not, the SERT and dyno time would probably be the answer, or a self-tuner as indicated above that changes out your 02 sensors. Enriching the mixture will have an added benefit of reducing the engine temp.

Old 05-27-2008 | 07:00 PM
xxxlenxxx
|
Advanced

anybody have the pcIII on rocker and where did you put it?

Quick Reply: computer question.....whats the deal?