Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraping floor boards

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 PM
M.I.Fat Boy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping floor boards

Leaning a little hard on the turns has caused the floorboads to scrape on my fatboy from time to time, however I'm concerned that the boards don't fold up easily at all, maybe putting too much resistance on the ground and potentially causing loss of control. Is this unfounded?

This is the first bike with floorboards I own, and I'm not completely comfortable with the feel. I do like the way they look, but I wish I had somethng with more and easier "give" when touching the ground on a little faster curve. The bike is factory equipped with 200mm on the rear and it feels like it WANTS to turn a little harder, but with the stiff boards, I don't know...

Any insight from people with longtime floorboard experience would be appreciated.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Default RE: Scraping floor boards

Don't let it bother you, I do it all the time, you,ll get used to it. unless your really haulin you shouldn,t loose it. The boards seem stiff but they,ll go up when you grind the black top. Just don,t drag your finger across the edge to see if you've done any damage!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I scrape mine frequently. No problem.
Marsh

Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boards will move up, don't worry. The bike weighs a lot more the the pressure needed to move the boards.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
M.I.Fat Boy
Intermediate

Great to hear!

Thank you much.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Pres1
Cruiser

Love the scrape. A buddy of mine just picked up a new Custom. We're out on his inaugural ride and I lean hard into a corner as I'm following him. His head just about spun around to see if it was something wrong with his new machine. I about peed myself laughing. Don't worry, I explained it to him at the next light.

BTW, +1 on the boards folding up.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM
bdejong11129
Cruiser

Yup, I get them to scrape about every other ride. The best time was in the MSF Expirenced Rider course. We were going through the tight S-Curve and I scraped them each time through. The instructor was pretty amused.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Just don't forget to yell Wooo!Hooo! when you do that and you will be fine.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Twolf
Road Master

ORIGINAL: M.I.Fat Boy

Leaning a little hard on the turns has caused the floorboads to scrape on my fatboy from time to time, however I'm concerned that the boards don't fold up easily at all, maybe putting too much resistance on the ground and potentially causing loss of control. Is this unfounded?

This is the first bike with floorboards I own, and I'm not completely comfortable with the feel. I do like the way they look, but I wish I had somethng with more and easier "give" when touching the ground on a little faster curve. The bike is factory equipped with 200mm on the rear and it feels like it WANTS to turn a little harder, but with the stiff boards, I don't know...

Any insight from people with longtime floorboard experience would be appreciated.

Man,

If ya ain't scrapin' boards or pegs, ya ain't ridin' hard enuf!

Go out and do some mountain twisties!

Then just sand down yer boards with some 200 grit and finish them with 400. (Palm sander works nice)

That wayyou can wash them without gettin yer towel snagged. I use 400 grit on my pegs.

Never had boards. I just have bros that do alla that.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:08 AM
skulznflames
Cruiser

Scraped the **** out of mine, got sick of it and took em off. Forwards are nearly just as comfy.

Quick Reply: Scraping floor boards