Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 AM
eddieflyer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Train Windshield

Ok, so I never thought I would ever do this.....put a windshield on my bike. I've always loved the stripped down and nothing extra of my night train. Problem is I took a friends bike out for a trip last weekend and was impressed with how much the windshield helps. I love my night train too much to sell and get longer range bike but can't afford a second bike right now.But I'm alsonot as excited to go onlong rides(days) anymore because of the beatingI take from the wind rocks, etc.. So, for longer trips I'm thinking I might just get a windshield that I can put on and take off at every gas station, stop lights, etc.... I'm am asking you guys for advice. First and foremost I want something that will clamp on, nothing that is going to leave mounting hardware on my bike. What size should I be looking for? I'm 6 foot.I guess I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive one as I really only see myself using it two or three times a year. thanks for the help!!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Hogmonger
Intermediate
Default RE: Night Train Windshield

I hear you. In the exact same boat. I only want it for the 500+ mile run to Daytona. I love the clean bad *** look of my train. Interested in seeing the responses!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 PM
LuckyBob
Advanced

Don't.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you guys are talking about. Never thought I would put a shield on my bike (I'm too cool) but I live in Temecula, CA and it seems like it is ALWAYS windy.I just got tired of being beat up by the wind, helmet being pulled off, eyes watering so bad I couldn't see.I tried a quick detach HD on my softail standardone time and couldn't stand it, WAY too big, felt like I was ridiing a bagger. ThenI started looking at windvests and out of pure luck a guy heard me talking about buying one and he gave mea 14" windvest for free. I was amazed at the difference and really liked it except I was getting a little buffeting on the top of my head. I had to get a 16" shield and now it is perfect.

I have rode with it for about a year now and last week took it off just for grins.What a difference, I rode about 10 miles and turned around and put it back on. They are big enough to block the wind off your chest and face but create no updraft and you don't have the wind roaring in your ears, I can hear my bike nice and clear at 80MPH just like I am standing next to it. My eyes don't tear up, helmet is not being pulled off my head, hands and arms don't get tired from holding on. If you look around you will see more and more of the "bar hopper" type bikes are putting some kind of small windshields on. Alsoclear windshields are not as noticeable as tinted and since I have mini-apes on my bike it kind of flows with the bars and is not really very noticeable.

For you night train guys windvest came out with mounting hardware and a shield specifically for your bikes. The hardware is wrinkle black and they have a 10" shield. Of course you can put the larger shields on if you want. I was thinking about putting drag bars on my bike but until I can figure out how to do it with some type of windshield that looks ok, that project is on hold. I just got tired of fighting the wind. Oh, and before the shield, 65-75 was top speed on the freeway, now 80-85 is smooth cruzin, no strain at all! Hope this helps. Rick

Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 AM
cbaker
Advanced

don't do it!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 AM
eod_punk
Advanced

HD makes a few that clamp on to the forks and leaves no hardware behind when you remove them. If I put a shield on my NT it would probally be one of them. I can't stand the thought of mounting hardware. Heres teh one I would buy. http://*******.com/2auwef

Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 AM
tbenson
Cruiser

I put the HD sport windshield on mine. I wish I would have spent the extra for a Windvest or the HD detachable!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

My wife bought me the HD Sport Detachable windshield for Xmas, but it required me to relocate the turn signals; which I did not want to do. I recently purchased this one:
http://www.motosport.com/harley/product/NATIONAL-CYCLE-SWITCHBLADE-CHOPPED-TINT/?catalogId=108872&page=1&refine=1&srch HistoryURL=kc5swm5c||parentCategoryID~2^superParen tCategoryID~category_root^parentCategoryName~Harle y^categoryID~1105^categoryName~Bolt%20On%20Accesso ries^subCategoryName~Windshields^subCategoryID~787

It requires me to tilt the turn signals to the sides a little bit, but at least I didn't have to relocate them.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM
boone432
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do it. Not to the bike atleast. Just get a full face helmet and put a windsheild over your face.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
eddieflyer
Intermediate

I have a full face, but get tired of being "closed in" by it. I am 6 foot tall, what size windshield would work for me? 15 in?? thanks for all the help guys

Quick Reply: Night Train Windshield