Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-Speed on a FatBoy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:05 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-Speed on a FatBoy?

I have seen a lot of posts where people said they were going to put a SixSpeed in their Fatboy... Anyone done it yet? How is it working out if you did it? And did you do the install yourself?

Old 02-25-2006, 11:58 PM
mbmike
Advanced
Default RE: 6-Speed on a FatBoy?

Hello there I put a 6 speed in my 03 fatboy, has 95 kit, 203 cams, bassani exhaust , rejeted carb and the bike is full of pep.put the 6 speed in cause rode long distance allot but to tell you the truth if your looking for more fuel economy your not going to get much more , rpms from 6 from 5 is only a couple hundred and really no big difference, what I found is instead of plowing down the freway at 75 with rpms up I can go 82 with the same effort and ease , still stop every 130 miles for gas before and after.

My two cents
Mbmike

Old 02-26-2006, 01:05 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

hmmm... that is good to know. I was not really looking to improve fuel economy... for the most part I get in the 50 MPG range. I am fine with that. Beat's the heck out of my RX8's craptastic 17-20MPG. =)

I was looking to lower RPMs to take strain off of the motor. However, if it is only dropping the RPMs a little I am not sure it would be worth the trouble.

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-26-2006, 02:50 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is worth it if spending any time on highways. After four years of Heritage highway riding, I just felt like at 65-70mph there needed to be another gear. The SE six speed tranny is sweet. Drops the RPMs just to where they should be when looking for that 6th gear. Not too low (like an overdrive), and not too high (minimal effect). It is nice cruising now at 70+mph and having a mellow versus straining exhaust note accompanying.

Milwaukee is noting the the same, with the six speed trannies in the Dynas this year. Placement in the other models is around the corner.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:48 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I've often wondered if you could just put a 34T sprocket on the front of these bikes and kinda get the same effect? I know this would change things in the lower gears but just how noticable would it be. I did this on other bikes I had and it worked out pretty well.
This sprocket is like 150-200 bucks not installed and a 6 speed is like 2500 not installed. Both produce lower RPM at speed.

lp

Old 02-26-2006, 10:19 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

I do do a lot of highway driving and I am typically crusing around 70-75MPH... I have not felt like the bike was straining too much. That is actually one of the things that I have been very happy about with the Harley... It never seems to be straining doing anything.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:54 PM
8 UP
Cruiser

The 6-speed in the new Dynas's has A 1 to 1 6th gear (no overdrive).
If you are looking for an overdrive look at Baker or JIMS or even RevTech.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:51 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in the six speed thing too. But, the comments on fuel economy peaked my interest. Sounds like my tuning is off. I'm only getting about 35-40 mph at best. Most times about 33-35 mph. I can only go about 100 (110 max) on a tank of gas. Although they didn't look fouled, I changed the plugs (Screaming Eagle Split Fire to NGKs) at 6150 miles because I had a miss when I rolled on the throttle at low RPM (problem solved after plug swap).

The PO had install a set of V&H Short Shots. Otherwise, as far as I know, everything else is stock. However, I don't know if they ever changed the ECU maps to account for the changed pipes. I guess it's time to take it to Harley and have them verify the map or break down and buy the SERT software.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 PM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lp, i'm putting a 34t front sprocket on to try that before a 6 speed. I realize i'll lose a bit on the bottom but i'd rather have it at the top end anyway for hwy.

i'll let you know how i like it.....once the snow melts.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FBFletch

I'm interested in the six speed thing too. But, the comments on fuel economy peaked my interest. Sounds like my tuning is off. I'm only getting about 35-40 mph at best. Most times about 33-35 mph. I can only go about 100 (110 max) on a tank of gas. Although they didn't look fouled, I changed the plugs (Screaming Eagle Split Fire to NGKs) at 6150 miles because I had a miss when I rolled on the throttle at low RPM (problem solved after plug swap).

The PO had install a set of V&H Short Shots. Otherwise, as far as I know, everything else is stock. However, I don't know if they ever changed the ECU maps to account for the changed pipes. I guess it's time to take it to Harley and have them verify the map or break down and buy the SERT software.
I hate to say it, but you're describing the issues I've heard and experienced with short shots or big shot shorts. My issues didn't go away until I went either back to stock or to the rineharts on my bike now. Those VH short pipes appear, to me anyway, to be very tough to tune to.

Quick Reply: 6-Speed on a FatBoy?