Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Floorboards or Footpegs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Passenger Floorboards or Footpegs?

ORIGINAL: mikef

I will talk to her about that and getting some boots as soon as she gets home from picking up the kids from school.

This is our first Harley. She hasnt been on a bike in about 10 years..... She used to ride on her dad's 1951 Pan Head that he has had since he bought it new. So I am sure she never thought about how much weight she is putting on her feet. I will take to her.

That along with some boots and some new wider (better looking) foot pegs should do the trick.

I just want her to be comfortable.... If she is comfrotable we will ride more. So far she loves ourbike and loves to ride.
All smart fellows will figure this out. I'm quite sure you don't want to join my misery; but once I added the sissy bar & pad, she's good to go just about anytime.

That big, wrapping, backrest that I installed is one of the ugliest things I could have done to my Fatboy. But now the little women leans back and enjoys her ride behind me. She doesn't even hang on to me anymore.

Eventually I will be converting over to quick-release side rails so I can switch things out.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 PM
mikef
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

ORIGINAL: mikef

I will talk to her about that and getting some boots as soon as she gets home from picking up the kids from school.

This is our first Harley. She hasnt been on a bike in about 10 years..... She used to ride on her dad's 1951 Pan Head that he has had since he bought it new. So I am sure she never thought about how much weight she is putting on her feet. I will take to her.

That along with some boots and some new wider (better looking) foot pegs should do the trick.

I just want her to be comfortable.... If she is comfrotable we will ride more. So far she loves ourbike and loves to ride.
All smart fellows will figure this out. I'm quite sure you don't want to join my misery; but once I added the sissy bar & pad, she's good to go just about anytime.

That big, wrapping, backrest that I installed is one of the ugliest things I could have done to my Fatboy. But now the little women leans back and enjoys her ride behind me. She doesn't even hang on to me anymore.

Eventually I will be converting over to quick-release side rails so I can switch things out.
Yeah the quick release stuff is great. My back rest and windshield are quick release. I got the Barebacks for my saddlebags. Today I installed a luggage rack that hooks into the backrest. So when I take off the backrest the luggage rack goes with it. It is nice to get ride of it all when I ride with my buddys.

Where did you get that pack on your luggage rack in your pics. That looks perfect for everyday rides.

What about your footpegs. How did you mount them?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How can more chrome look bad?. I have the chrome floorboards on my Heritage and I think they look great.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
TexFordD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what you do. Take a regular pencil. Take the eraser end and go across a rough surface. Those are your feet in tennis shoes in the case that you end up laying it down and your foot gets caught under the bike left on the surface....o0ooch. ( Got to 'live to ride ride to die' web site to see road rash pics, you won't sleep afterwards)

Theres a web sight where I got some harness boots that while they cost 170+ at the Harley store they only cost me 70. As a matter of fact I was able to leather up with a jacket,chaps,boots and gloves for less than 250 and have not been dissapointed.

Since I would'nt want to violate a rule (My violating days are over for me) on this site all I can say is to just type in leather jacket in your search bar and it's at the top of the list (most hit first list). PS order a size larger, 1/2 size in boots.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 PM
mudrat_fat05
Cruiser

Have a good one for you.
I have an "05 Fatboy, but using a Delux exhaust system. Problem I have is, non of the stealers I have been to can get me/find the part I need to put floor boards on this bike. Seems kind of simple to me< (Same frame, same engine, same suspension,)> Why can't they get the single part I need to convert to delux floorboards? It's only a single, simple adapter. And no Harley Bone yard wants to sell me what I need?????

Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 PM
BigJohn Fatboy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Mike,

Do me a favor, I read that you had bought the rear bag that clamps on to your luggage rack. I'm planning on the same thing, could you snap some pics and post them. Would love to see what they look like with the saddle bags.

And yeah, get some boots.

Thanks,
Big John

Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817

How can more chrome look bad?. I have the chrome floorboards on my Heritage and I think they look great.
yeah. everyones different though and has their own likes/dislikes with their bikes.

i also have passenger boards on my fatboy. i like the way the chrome pans make the bike look when they are folded up... andthey also happen to make the ride more comfortable for the passenger.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 PM
mikef
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: trafficjams

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817

yeah. everyones different though and has their own likes/dislikes with their bikes.

i also have passenger boards on my fatboy. i like the way the chrome pans make the bike look when they are folded up... andthey also happen to make the ride more comfortable for the passenger.
Do you have saddle bags? If not can you take a pic of your bike with the floorboards? I would love to see it. With the saddlebags it was fine. But when I removed the saddles bags they looked like they would stick out to far. I didnt mount them I jsut held them up to the bike.

Please dont think that I am saying yours dont look good. Every Harley is unique and everybody likes something different. That is what is so great about it.

My brothers Softail Deluxe has the passenger floorboards but he has saddlebags that dont come off...... they look good on his bike.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 PM
mikef
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: BigJohn Fatboy

Hey Mike,

Do me a favor, I read that you had bought the rear bag that clamps on to your luggage rack. I'm planning on the same thing, could you snap some pics and post them. Would love to see what they look like with the saddle bags.

And yeah, get some boots.

Thanks,
Big John
No I havent bought the bag yet.... but I am interested too. Poorboy has it in the above pic. I want to get one. I have the Fatboy Saddlebags and the windshield bag. I just put my luggage rack on today.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
08fattoy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I was just about to pull the trigger on some floorboards in the back. Didn't realize they stick out so far. I'll have to find some other "chrome" thing to buy now!

Quick Reply: Passenger Floorboards or Footpegs?