Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big bore kit and no cams???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM
rblahetka
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Big bore kit and no cams???

Has anyone done this? My bike is an 02 FLSTF and I have the SE air cleaner, Mikuni 42mm carb, and Bub chambermaid exhaust. I was thinking of going big bore. I'm not looking for major power increases but a small amount wouldn't hurt. Anyone do this without cams? How was the outcome?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big bore kit and no cams???

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM
rblahetka
Tourer

LOL! I want to use the stock cams but put in a big bore kit and was wondering if anyone has done the same.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking you may want to ask if you need to replace your cam tensioners at the same time since you bike an 02. I know most people change to geared cams.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
esyrdgcwby
Cruiser

I would not recommend it, for starters you really don't get that much HP increase with just a 95" kit, only about 3-5 hp & 6-10 ftlb of torque, if you don't use the cams that come with the kit the numbers would be even worse.
I recommend if you arelooking to increase HP & torque you are much better off installing a good set of cams only such as SE211 Or Andrews 50g gear drive, on top of which when this is done your dealer/installer will be able to check & replace or eliminate your chain tensioners which are nortorious for going bad between 20 & 30k.
If the bike is fuel injected any performance mods should also include a SE race tuner, so they can create a custom fuel map for you
If it is carb then all you need to do is bump up the jets one level The cam mod alone you should see 6-10 hp & torque increase for roughly the same money & you don't have to disassemble the entire top end of the engine.
If you install either of those cams & have a good exhaust & A/c you should be all over the high 80 hp to low 90 hp & torque range.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I know that HD sells the street legal Stage 1 kit with the 95ci and no cams. My bike came from the factory with thison it , the Stage 1 95 ci kit installed. Not much difference over the 88ci, maybe a little more seat of the pants tq. off the line, but nothing outstanding.

If you were only going to do one engine mod (after pipes, ac and tuner), do the cams or do both 95 and the cams ( SE Stage 2 95 kit).

Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
rblahetka
Tourer

Thanks everyone. I called my local dealer today and they have a stage 2 kit in stock (jugs, pistons, and cams) which I think I will pick up tomorrow as they are having a 20% off sale. For those that have done this kit, does the bike shake more afterwards? I don't mind it at idle but would like it to remain somewhat smooth at cruising speed.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 AM
HDRick
Road Warrior

No shake. Still very smooth.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 PM
scorp58
Cruiser

how much are you getting the kit for?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:50 PM
rblahetka
Tourer

The kit retails for $809 which comes with pistons, jugs, cams, and the air cleaner kit which I already have. Also comes with a clutch spring and gaskets. 20% off the price is the sale. We have a 40 ton press at work so I can use that for the cam bearings. Everything else looks cut and dry in the repair manual.

Quick Reply: Big bore kit and no cams???