Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great weekend...got over stage fright

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006 | 06:06 PM
SMSgt B
|
Road Master
Default Great weekend...got over stage fright

I finally got the courage up this weekend to install V&H bigshot longs, SE air intake, and a PCIII on my '06 FLSTCI. All I can say is "HOLY CRAP" is it loud now...I Love it!!!! My German neighbors are going to hate it now. I did experience some troubles along the way, like:

1. I could not get the exhaust installed by following the directions. What I did is loosen the front heat shield from the pipe and removed the 4 bolts holding the back plate to the exhaust but left the plate mounted to the frame. This way I could slide the front pipe out just enough to get around the engine. Once I had the rear and front exhaust bolted to the port, I then installed the 4 bolts back in. This made it so much easier for me. Also, definately loosen the rear master brake cylinder.

2. SE Air intake....just follow the directions...perfect

3. PCIII....man, this took the longest because I had major problems with the directions. According the my directions, there are 3 different write-ups depending on what bike you ride. The one I followed was "Use the following instructions if you have a Screamin Eagle Softail Deuce or 2006 model"...these are the ones where you need to remove the mud guard and install the PCIII on your siren. I followed them perfectly, but once I tried to put the seat back on....forget it. Then I tried the very first set of instructions (install new ECM tray and mount the PCIII on top of it)....fit like to glove. So don't follow "or 2006 model" set for an '06 FLSTCI. Also, if you mount the PCIII on your siren, I have heard that you can't install a lowering kit.

It really is a great feeling to tackle a fear and come out successful. I am definately no mechanical expert, so if I can compete this...anyone can.

Next job to take on is installing a new nacelle....this one really scares the bageebees outta me....gotta drill a hole for the dirving light switch and cut your detachable windshield....any help on this installation?

V/r

George
'06 FLSTCI with extra power now

Old 02-20-2006 | 06:31 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Great weekend...got over stage fright

No help on the new install here but just wanted to thank you for sharing info and your experience.

I feel like you do I think, it's scary as hell looking at the parts and reading the instructions but you do step 1 then go to step 2 and so on and the next thing you know you are done.

Nothing like saving a few bucks on labor as long as you don't bite off more than you can chew.

Congrats and good luck on the nacelle.

Primo

Old 02-20-2006 | 06:44 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Good Job. It took 11 hrs and a six pack of beer for me to get my Rinehart True Duals installed last year. Like you, I found the directions to be useless. I ended up having to remove it and start over and made it up as I went. Actually, I'm pretty mechanical but this one gave me fits. I could do it in less than half the time now.

Old 02-21-2006 | 02:37 AM
SMSgt B
|
Road Master

Thanks for the comments, it really was a positive turnaround for me...wife was pretty impressed too. I definately agree the first step you have to overcome is the fear of screwing something up during an install. I forgot to mention the most important thing to any upgrade.....spend the money and purchase a HD repair manual for your bike. This book came in handy every step.

V/r

George
'06 FLSTCI w/9 miles on it.

Old 02-21-2006 | 03:03 PM
Cessna172
Cruiser

pics

Old 02-21-2006 | 04:28 PM
SMSgt B
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Cessna172

pics
Your right....it's time for pics. I was waiting until I added some extras. I will try and get some up tomorrow.

V/r

George

Old 02-21-2006 | 06:22 PM
VetteSiNz
Tourer

Congrats...at least I'm learning new everytime I visit the forum.[8D]

Old 03-17-2006 | 03:09 PM
SoCalFXSTI
Tourer

SMSGT...Thanks for all your posts. I started out last summer with a Standard Softail-cause I couldnt afford a Deluxe or Heritage at the time. So each month I do a little bit more to convert it to a nostalgic style Heritage. Along the way its become a Heritage/Deluxe. Im almost done. Ive got a couple more major things to do 1. FL front end,2. Fishtails and 3. Air ride. And some minor ones-like the nacelle.
Ive turned wrenches on every part of my bike, except the motor. It feels pretty cool once your done-especially since you have a knew found knowledge for how it all works. Last night I replaced my chrome speedo console with a black one. I didnt know how in the heck I was going to take out the speedo, but I consulted the experts- the shop manual- and I was done in minutes. Im glad you posted the passenger footboard experience. Ive always wondered about that, and now intend to add that to the list. Thanks again and thanks for your Air Force service. Heres some pics of my Standard.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3061/1A0004487C784C59941923F0169C2C3A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3061/73DC8501AE53433DA030C836973E3A12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3061/351C1C2202E440CF9FED219D09638E0F.jpg[/IMG]