Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Lowered The Bike...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:04 PM
buick_81
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Lowered The Bike...

Hi Guys,

I just lowered 2" of my Softail's rear side with the HD lowering kit and it looks very nice, The fender is covering part of the wheel now, Nothing changed in handling and it's more comfortable to ride, Just want to keep you updated.

Thank You.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:06 PM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just Lowered The Bike...

Pics - Pics - Pics

Old 02-20-2006, 09:24 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea, No pics, No mod!!!

Old 02-20-2006, 09:32 PM
boysatt
6th Gear

I wanna see

Old 02-20-2006, 09:55 PM
hog tied
Advanced

ya i did mine too.. it sure make the bobtail look a lot better. very niceName:  sweetbaby.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 02-21-2006, 12:38 AM
mopar440
Novice

How hard was it to install the lowering kit? I got a kit of ebay but it didnt come with any instructions. Mines the longer bolt/stud setup that replaces the one on the stock shocks. Can anyone give a rundown on how to install these or a link to instructions? It looks pretty basic, but I'm sure theres more to it. Thanks.

Butch
2001 FXSTI

Old 02-21-2006, 01:35 PM
buick_81
Cruiser

Guys, Guys, Guys...

I can't show you any pics until the project is done, I wanna surprise you with what I'll do, The 1st package of Screaming Eagle will be installed within week and the wheels will be ready within April cause it's custom made (at least the front), sorry about that and I promise you I'll list all the updates that I've done and the ones I'll do in the end of the project.

for mopar440, I let HD service center do it for me and as you said there was no instruction with the kit, it's just a small package with a part number on it.

Thank you again guys.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Dannys Train
Novice

Mopar 440

Sounds like you basically got the same kit I did... mine just happen to have the Ness logo on it!

The kit is pretty easy for anyone slightly mechanically inclined. The only out of the ordinary tool you'll need is a press.

It would be nice to have a motorcycle jack so that you can give yourself a bit more room to work under the bike, but it's not a must. I did mine one shock at a time, since I didn't have a jack. But a MC jack will allow you to do both at the same time.

Some advice would be to take some measurements before you start. I used the most rearward bolt on the fender strut as a reference, measuring the height of the bike before I started.

Once I removed the shock and before I disassembled it, I noted the position of the spring plate relative to the shock body and how much length there was between it and the top of the lower/inner bushing. Kinda gives you a rough estimate to how much pre-load you have on the bike before disassembly.

The first shock took me about 20 minutes once I got it off the bike, just because I was being cautious of everything and the fact that the jam nut was REALLY tight. The factory stud was pretty tight too, so that took some finnese! The second shock went much faster... prolly 10 to 15 minutes for disassembly and reassembly.

I essentially set an open end wrench in a bench vise and had a buddy hold the shock while I used the other wrenches to loosen and tighten everything. You'll need a metric open end for the jam nut... not sure what size, but I know its bigger than a 24mm. 1 1/16" is too big, but it will work. That's what I used.

The factory stud has a wrench surface, its 9/16". The Ness stud has a 5/8" wrench surface on it... don't know if yours will be the same.

Anyway... didn't mean to hijack the thread... hope all this helps!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:09 PM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are going to be waiting patiently then... of course patience wears thin, don't dally with the pics!!

Old 02-21-2006, 06:21 PM
05FXSTBI
Cruiser

Lowering my bike is one of the next things to do on my list. It definitely gives it a better look. I will hopefully do it after bike week.
This weekend my Easy clutch goes in.

Quick Reply: Just Lowered The Bike...