Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: oil change

ORIGINAL: SoALposer

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Before you change the oilmake sure you run the bike long enough to get it warmed up.Harley engine's use a dry sump oil system and they are notorious for 'leaking' back into the crankcase when they sit for any length of time.
Running the engine will get as much oil as possible out of the engine and back in the tank. Once its warm it will also hold more of thecrudin suspension within the oil instead of laying in the tank and engine where it won't come out.
And once your finished putting a new filter on its a good idea to only put about 2.5 quarts back in instead of the rated 3 quarts. Then you can start the engine and let it warm up a little before you recheck the level.
If you put the full 3 quarts in its not uncommon for themto 'throw up' oil out of the tank fill cap because there can be as much asa half a quart that never comes out during a normal change.
Wish I had listened when I was told this, lol, it makes a big mess, trust me.
Sometimes you need to have things shown to you before you believe it. And while not listening in this case can be messy, its not something that's going to do any permenent harm, except to your ego.
On the plus side, your not likely to repeat the same mistake again, are you?