Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installation skeptic

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installation skeptic

I was thinking bout getting taller bars, maybe apes but not to tall and installing braided cables and hiding the wires inside the bars, like chubbys. Has anyone done this?
putting the bars on isnt a problem, Ive just never took apart the handlebar controls or put new cables on. Or taken apart the area on the clutch where the cable goes.
Scared to touch it cause I dont know enough about it.
I have the manual and the Fix my hog video, but theres the "I don't wanna f--k it up thing" ya know....

Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Tman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: installation skeptic

I did mine and everything turned out great, took my time and had all the parts for the complete install. I have pic's of my bike in the fxst picture sections.

Old 02-20-2006, 09:40 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Go for it!! It just takes time. Cable change is straight foward but if you have to have longer wires you will have to splice and I hate splicing!! I had to on my headlight and sawdered connection but still do not like it. Just another potintional problem down the road. If you do not have to have longer wires it's just a matter of picking the connections. Once you figure out how its easy. Just make sure you have some thing under switch housings when you take them apart so you don't loose small parts.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:41 AM
whiplush
Tourer

When running the wires inside the bars DO NOT cut the wires and splice them unless they're too short. Its easier to remove the tank and unplug them. Make a drawing of the wires placement in the plug and remove the plug. Fish the wires through the bars then replace the wires back into the plug and plug them back up. Here's another little tip, take a dremel tool with a little grinding wheel on it and smooth out the burrs from the inside edges of the holes that the wires go through in the bars. I helped a friend do his and we didn't smooth the burrs out and the wires caught on them and made it hard. I did mine by myself and after smoothing off the burrs I just pushed the wires thru effortlessly without having to use a string or anything to pull them through.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:50 AM
haksaw
Road Master

i think this is the way to go even if you do have to splice...(remove the plug and then remove the pins from the plug before splicing) it's a lot easier to do a good job when it's all disconnected from the bike

Old 02-21-2006, 06:23 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

I agreewith haksaw, if you have to splice take the time to remove the pins from the plug. Then go to your nearest electronics store and get some "Enviromental Splices" sometimes called "Heat Shrinkable Devices" or "Butt Splices". These things work wonders one you you crimp the wire and slide the splice over the connection you use a heat gun to seal both ends plus the connection itself. Theses are the same things I used for years working on Jets. They work well.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:12 AM
Boogie Knights
Advanced

Just a small tip I found helpful, take digital photos at each stage, as many as you like, 'cos a picture paints a thousand words, might give you some reassurance at the reassembly stage! A jewellers screwdriver or similar small tool is needed to release the pins from the sockets, do not force them out, they are held in with a tiny piece of the plastic moulding and you will wreck the plug if you give it the big heave ho As the other guys have said, "go for it"![sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 02-21-2006, 10:38 AM
99FXST
Advanced

Did mine this weekend and it turned out great. I did splice my lines (though I did not have to but already cut the wires) and I used the butt splices. They are really good, crimp the wires and then take a heat source to them to shrink the tubing, great for weatherproofing. You will have to remove the tanks and a few things but don't be scared, they all go back together nicely. As far as the controls, just be patient and yes have a magnetic bowl or something underneath them. BE CAREFUL when putting the screw back into the housing to hold the controls in place, I stipped two of the cheap screws and had to drill them out and replace them. So in other words, don't crank down on them hard. Here is a picture of the finished product, I had the ole buckhorn style bars before.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7680/6B30FF4B03C74B12B1DC4F8BDDFAB103.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
hddeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This seems to a good idea. And then you can post the pics and show the rest of us how to do it.
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
ORIGINAL: Boogie Knights

Just a small tip I found helpful, take digital photos at each stage, as many as you like, 'cos a picture paints a thousand words, might give you some reassurance at the reassembly stage! A jewellers screwdriver or similar small tool is needed to release the pins from the sockets, do not force them out, they are held in with a tiny piece of the plastic moulding and you will wreck the plug if you give it the big heave ho As the other guys have said, "go for it"![sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 02-21-2006, 02:13 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Diffantly do not cut wires unless stock wires are to short!!! All it takes is a small flat head screw driver slid along the bottom of wire hole and then lift up to remove individual wires from plug. It takes a little bit to figure it out but once you do its easy. Shop manual has color code scematic fold out to show wire order.

Quick Reply: installation skeptic