Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 2006 Heritage Softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006 | 11:03 AM
ajay450
|
Tourer
Default Considering 2006 Heritage Softail

I'm new to this forum. I've owned a 1200 Sporster 2005 in the past but now have a metric bike. I'm considering a new Heritage softail. I've ridden two softail standards (both 2003's, used) and the engine in both ran very smooth. I read a review from someone that rented a heritage softail and was dissatisfied with it. The problem this rider had was that upon acceleration the engine had a "bad knocking". He took it back to the renting dealer and ask them to check it out. The dealers explanation was that the engine has an overheating feature that retards spark. I have read about this overheating feature in HD's. I thought it was for when you were in slow traffic. Has anyone experienced this knocking? I really don't want to buy a bike that has some inherent problem. Thanks in advance for all your input.

Old 02-20-2006 | 12:12 PM
Mike05
Tourer
Default RE: Considering 2006 Heritage Softail

There is nothing wrong with my '05 Heritage Classic. It's like everything else. Sometimes a unit my develope a problem but that doesn't mean all units will have a problem. Heritage Softails have been around for a long time. There have been a lot of out there. If there were inherent problems I don't think the line would still be around. Could be the rented unit you mentioned had been ridden very hard and did have some kind of engine problem.

The heat management you mentioned is for EFI units. It works like this.

Phase 1: When the cylinder head has reached about 320 degrees F the ECM manages the RPM (it does this anyway based on air temperature, engine speed, throttle position etc). It will reduce engine idle speed until the temperature drops or the engine RPM reaches 800.

Phase 2: If the head temperature reaches about 338 degrees F the ECM adds a little more fuel for a cooling effect (the ECM does this anyway based on air temperature, engine speed, throttle position etc).

Phase 3: This phase only works if the bike is sitting still. If the temperature reaches 356 degrees F the fuel injector pulses are interrupted. The engine will draw cool air in but will not fire a cylender due to no fuel. This pulling in cool air and expelling the air helps to cool down the engine but could be viewed as a misfire if you didn't know what was going on.

I've got 6500 miles on mine and haven't had the heat management system come into play, at least not to my knowledge. The hottest day I was out was about 98 degrees but most of my riding is on 55 mph highway or better so I wouldn't be able to tell what the ECM does with the heat.

Don't be discouraged by what you've heard or read. The Harley-Davidson line is a great product. And it keeps getting better. Is it the best? It's hard to say. Is a Lincoln better that a Lexus? Is Cherreos better than Wheates? It all comes down to what you like.

Ride safe whatever you choose..........

Old 02-20-2006 | 01:30 PM
DMSC
Road Master

I'll have to agree with Mike05...

Old 02-20-2006 | 04:24 PM
bassrock
Tourer

Buy it. My 04 has never had any problems. Enjoy.

Old 02-20-2006 | 04:51 PM
Pavetack
Cruiser

My 04 is perfect....I've never had any problems!

Old 02-20-2006 | 05:09 PM
English Pete
Cruiser

I have only done 300 miles on my 06 so far, worke and weather keep getting in the way, but I love it. This is my first HD and I can't wait for spring.

Go buy

Old 02-20-2006 | 10:53 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

The knocking sounds like the guy was shifting too early.
If you lug it too much, it will bounce around a lot and make nasty noises.

Motor is great, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:12 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

American Iron March '06 issue has a decent review of the Heritage Standard "Has the Heritage lost it's heritage?". It basically said it was a nice bike, but they didn't really rant & rave. One of the three reviewers said, "In an entirely nonthreatening way the Heritage seems content to not embrace the past or look to the future. If this machine stirs your soul, you must be an ultra-mellow cruiser to the core - not that there's anything wrong with that."

I saw this bike and fell in love right off the bat. One test ride, and I was sold. I got mine in October, and had just enough time to get 1,000 miles on it before the snow flew and had to put here away. I love the bike, and would whole heartedly recommend it. It's got enough retro look to it to make it interesting and different than most of the other bikes, and refined enough to make it a sweet ride. Kind of back to basics look.

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:24 PM
Stevenml155
Tourer

I've got an 06 Heritage Classic and I love it! Bought it in early September and have about 2600 miles on it -- no problems, runs very well, mileage in the 42 mpg range and it is a great bike for around town or extended jaunts on the highways. Easy bike to ride and manuever. I would buy another one in a heartbeat -- it's a great bike! My .2 ...

Old 02-21-2006 | 12:04 PM
vulhalla
Road Master

I have an 03 and love it, the only thing is I got the stage 1 installed and I am in the process of getting chubby ape handlebars cause I want the wires inside the bars and the grips are a litlle higher and more of a comfortable angle for my wrists, other then that, its the perfect bike for me.
I toured new brunswick/prince edward island and nova scotia last year, no problem whatsoever, also wnt through new england to York PA and OCC in ny, again no problem.
This year going down to smokey mountains and the dragon tail.
I love it.

Quick Reply: Considering 2006 Heritage Softail