Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Shield on the Cross Bones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Kevinc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wind Shield on the Cross Bones?

You will ride it more with a wind shield, trust me. Isn't riding it the point? Get a detachable windshield and you can take it off for shor "bar hopping" and then put it on for real trips.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 PM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Marsh

psdj, are you serious? Yikes! You bought a 95" scoot for your first bike? I learned to ride on smaller bikes and owned 5 progressively larger bikes before I got a big bike. I've heard of people lately doing that, especially womenand don't understand. That seems like someone going out and buying a .44 magnum before they learn how to shoot a .22.
Please take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course before you crash and burn. Maybe you've already taken the course, in which case I applaud you. A big Harley twin isa dangerousbike to learn on. So is a crotch rocket.
Marsh
Marsh I already took the motorcycle safety course about 2 weeks before I got the bike. As far as it being to big of a bike to start out on, I think that is not true. Remember any motor vehicle wether a motorcycle or car will only go as fast as you want it to. The driver has control as to how far they want to push it. Walking down the street is dangerous. Everybody has the decision as to how dangerous or risky they want to be.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at least you've had the MSF course and seem mature enough, but most people, at least those I know, started out smaller and worked there way up to big bikes.
I'm not sure how well this is stressed in the MSF course, but Keep one thing in mind; EVERYONE in a 4 wheel vehicleis trying to kill you. Without exception!
Good luck,
Marsh
Read this on the General Chat section
Rider down

Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 PM
stuey922
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm. I was wonderin, If you take your cross bones and add a windshield,bags,highway bars and all the other stuff that is on a full dresser, would you have a "cross-dresser"?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
ricras384
4th Gear
Default Purists?

A lot of self proclaimed "purists" have given me their opinions about putting a windshield on my 2009 Cross Bones. Many of those opinions embrace the notion that a "bobber" in it's pure form should not have a windshield. In theory I would have to say I agree. I would not want to ride my bike around town with the windshield on it. In practice however, when I take longer rides it makes more sense (and more comfort) to have the windshield. It is an option and an accessory, not a statement about the bike and from where I sit on the back of that bike it's a nice option to have.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Originally Posted by stuey922
Hmmmm. I was wonderin, If you take your cross bones and add a windshield,bags,highway bars and all the other stuff that is on a full dresser, would you have a "cross-dresser"?
Hey Heeeey!!

Made oi larf, it did..

Old 05-15-2009, 04:23 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I just got my Crossbones last October and it came with a windshield. I used it all winter for obvious reasons, and kept it on for Bike Week because it was 14 degrees when I left. A bit warmer in Florida, so the shield comes off and stays in my tent. I like saddlebags to carry stuff, I like a windshield for weather protection, and if that doesn't meet with the description someone else has of a Bobber, too bad.

My definition of a "Bobber" is a motorcycle that removing any single part makes it no longer an operating, legal motorcycle. "Bobber's" got their speed (in the days before 'Dealer Downloads' and "Screamin' Eagle" parts) by losing weight. Today's Harley's don't have to sacrifice comfort for speed, so now it's all about style.
My Crossbones:

My Bobber:

Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I believe the TS asked if a windshield deflected much wind and for comments on different styles and heights...Nor did he ask how it would look or should he put one on his bike!!!

stock 07 FLSTC glass.
Cold weather, highways, and late evenings / nigth riding conditions, I'll take the windshield 100% of the time!!
Really hot DAY time riding without wife, I will take it off..
I did cut about 3" off top to help with wind buffering riding with helmet on (which is seldom), it seemed to help a little.
Can't tell any diff without the lid which is 99% time, so cutting it didn't hurt.

Last edited by oct1949; 05-15-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 PM
00slowrider
Intermediate

one of the reasons I traded "up" to a Heritage from a LR was the windshield issue. dyna just didn't look right (to me) w/ a windshield, under any circumstance. so for that reason, and others, I am a very proud owner of an above mentioned Heritage. I didn't do it for what others thought. it was just what I felt/believed. hey, as long as you're riding...

Attached Thumbnails  Wind Shield on the Cross Bones?-genewilliams.jpg  
Old 05-16-2009, 07:08 AM
dc4stroke
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My take

I like the look of not having a windscreen. But since I do a lot of interstate riding to get to work. I use one. Mine was a standard due to the dealer missordering. I cut it down myself. I get a bunch of buffeting from below it due to the wind running up my legs. I cruise the interstate with my feet on the passenger pegs a lot. I used to ride sport bikes so I'm used to my feet being under me.

Attached Thumbnails  Wind Shield on the Cross Bones?-590x600.jpg