Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Shield on the Cross Bones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Tegne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wind Shield on the Cross Bones?

Hi folks. Never mind the Sportster picture in my avatar ... I have a deposit on a new Cross Bones that's due to arrive in Singapore any week now. I'd like to go back to an earlier question. Do you experience much wind buffeting with these shields? I bought a quick detach one for my XL1200L and it has sat in the garage since I got it, as I can't stand my head being beaten about with the turbulence that's generated over the top of the shield. I'd actually prefer a straight blast of wind in my face to be honest. Comments appreciated as I'm going to put in an order for a few parts that will hopefully arrive at the same time as the bike.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:40 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

Do you get a lot of buffeting with that shield?

the ride is 1000% better with this shield. i get a little buffetting at about 90-100 mph, then i start to get a little front end wobble at 120. lmao... not that i go that fast all the time but the posted speed limits here are 70 on the highway and to keep up with traffic i cruise at 80-90 most times. the windshield is very important to me. at regular cruising speeds (65-75) there is no buffeting at all. (please dint start chiming in that if i want to go fast i should have a crotch rocket, because i already know that, and its not my fault i like to ride fast.[8D])

Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
TxDyna
Cruiser

I feel like such a poser and a ***** now....I have a quick detach windsheild for my rocker[] Only have it on when I am on a longer ride or after dark. I can only take so many bugs in the teeth!!

Dave

Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
MartyF
Cruiser

Hey Dave,

Don't feel too bad. I'm in the same boat as you. I plan on getting the quick-detach windshield for my Rocker for longer rides as well.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

I have the taller windshield and don't get any buffeting even a interstate speeds. It is just high enought to shoot the wind over the top of the helmet.

And Marsh, no hard feelings...it has been a good discussion My 25 year old son comes over and borrows the old man's bobber all the time and the windshield is always the first thing he strips off of it. When I ask why, he just shakes his head and says that it just isn't cool! Go figure! I don't care, I guess I am just set in my ways. At my age, being comfortableis more important than the cool factor...but there again I am not 25. Jerry

Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
6165hd
Road Captain

If you put saddle bags and an engine gaurd on the bones, will it fall into the touring catagory???easy guys,...... just havin fun. Besides I've hada few snacks
on my jouney when some bugs tasted salty, some bugs are crunchy, some bugs are peppery,, those I like,... some taste sour. No windshield for me unless they
come with automatic wipers.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

6165hd, what did do to your jugs? I can see that you blacked out the heads, but did you just polish the lower fins? They look awesome!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
6165hd
Road Captain

I have the Original heads, but had the rockers and tappet coverspowdercoated glossy. the bottom fins, are from switchin outto the 103 bore kit.

Im a work in Progress. thanks Tn

Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 6165hd

I have the Original heads, but had the rockers and tappet coverspowdercoated glossy. the bottom fins, are from switchin outto the 103 bore kit.

Im a work in Progress. thanks Tn
YEAH thats what i thought. when i did my build i got the SE performance heads, but i was told after the fact that redoing my stockers would have been a better decision. oh well, too little too late. nice lookin scoot ya got

Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screming Eagle & 6165, tell me please in your own words just how much seat of the pants increase in power you got from 96 to 103".
Thanks,
Marsh

Quick Reply: Wind Shield on the Cross Bones?