Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most comfort in lowering Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 03:46 PM
btmagician13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most comfort in lowering Fatboy

I am wanting to lower my 05 Fatboy but my wife rides with me alot so I dont want to sacrifice comfort much. I have been told that the Air Ride systems will give me the most comfort because when we are riding it can be raised to stock height. My concern is are these systems reliable?? I ride alot and go on some long trips throughout the year so I need to know these are going to be good for the long haul.

I have also looked into the adjustable bolt ons that you can adjust with a wrench in a few minutes.

What will be my best option out there????

Old 02-18-2006, 03:50 PM
btmagician13
Novice
Default RE: Most comfort in lowering Fatboy

Also

if you do suggest the air ride suspension, Which ones are the best/worst??

Old 02-18-2006, 06:36 PM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain

I have a couple of friends that have installed airride kits and I have spoken to my dealer about it. Everyone I have discussed this with all agree the legend system is the superior kit. I have not come to the point to spend that $2000.00 yet. Good luck with your decision.

Gene

Old 02-19-2006, 12:00 AM
FatBoy2five0
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the process of putting a Legends Air Ride Suspension on my Fatboy now, started to put the Progressive Air Tail Suspension on but they were backordered for at least a month , so I just bit the bullet and went with the Legend, should be here next week will post pics of the build if anyone is interested, let me know, I first used the White Brothers lowering studs for the stock shocks, the look was great but the ride sucked ,very easy to bottom out especially with my 100 lb wife with me, this should cure the look and ride.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:12 AM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a Fat Boy but I have the Legends Air Ride on my Deuce and love it - I get about 5" of travel between slammed and fully raised - here are pics of contrasting heights.

UP

DOWN

Old 02-19-2006, 12:20 AM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the Legends Air ride on my 04 softail. I put it on 6 months after I bought the bike and have put on about 13,000 miles since. Having rode the bike before with the stock suspension I found the air ride to be way better. I stand only 5' 7" so I installed the air ride to be lower to the ground with my short legs while riding in town. Once I hit the highway I pump it up and it's like riding a cloud. Yes, it was a lot of money but I feel it was well worth it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
daboys53119
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the rear lowering bolts also and the ride is rough two up. So bad in fact we got an Ultra for two up riding.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 AM
btmagician13
Novice

sounds like the systems are pretty reliable.....do these things have something in them in case something was to break, you could still ride it???

Anyone ride with the AirTails on their bike??? That is the system I am looking at getting and just using the manual pump to keep the costs down

Old 02-20-2006, 11:50 AM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as fas as something in case they break, only thing I could imagine breaking would be a seal or something allowing the pressure to drop, in that case the system could drop to completely lowered which I can ride it completely lowered as long as my back can stand it - and I don't have to go over speed bumps (the bracket for the pro-pipe is pretty low)

Old 02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I believe in keeping things simple. I really wanted to put an air ride suspension on my Fat Boy. However, I got gun shy when everybody I talked to who had air ride suspensions had trouble with them leaking after a very short period of time. Just couldn't see spending $2K on a system that I had to repair every few months. But, I guess a lot of depends on which system you get.

Quick Reply: Most comfort in lowering Fatboy