Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 PM
84 SOFTAILCUSTOM
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn Lights!

Hoping for a little help with the lights on my 84Softtail.Okay, brake lights aren't working but thats not whatI'm even conserned with right now. What I think I need to fix first is that when I turn the ignition to the on acc. position (first click to the right) the tail light comes on. When I click it one more click over (ign. / head lamp on), the tail light goes out. I can't figure it out. Can the brake lights not working have to do with this problem? Here is what I do know. Red, green, brown coming from right hand side are all intact to junction under seat. Red coming from left hand side to juntionis completely intact. All wire to and up under dash to diodes are all secure. Could the lights diode be bad? Maybe a faulty ignition swith? I don't know.Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. Man, this bikehas got to run for more than three or four days ina row. Thanks for all you help.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM
84 SOFTAILCUSTOM
Stage III
Default RE: Damn Lights!

Anybody??? I'm at a loss.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
SoALposer
Tourer

First a disclaimer, I have no book knowledge of the HD electrical system, but I am willing to make a SWAG. If your lights are coming on at different positions on the ignition switch, my first guess is that the switch may be faulty. Sometimes it is as simple as cleaning with an electrical contact cleaner as there may be corrosion or trash shorting out two or more contact points. Or, as I have found with numerous auto switches, the switch may just be broke causing no contact. Other than that, all I can do is wish you luck and you will find out why electrical problems (autos anyway) are charged by the hour. They can be heck to find.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

Yeah, could be. Sometimes, if the wires are shorted through the switch. That's the first place I would oook is that maybe the ignition switch is bad. Can take it off and use a DMM on it, but that's my guess.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
84 SOFTAILCUSTOM
Stage III

Isthere a way to troubleshoot the switch that you guys know of?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

You can use a multimeter. You'd need a schematic. Might be able to talk you through, but I don't have a schematic. So, you should find someone that might. Try classic bikes. There's a lot of ol skool guys in there. They may be able to help.