Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ball check valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
dsdamaged
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball check valve

i have seen where people suggest that the ball check valve could be responsible for bikes blowing oil out of the breather hose after it has sat awhile, my problem is it blows oil out of the hose all over my rear tire after it has been running for days. twice now i have had oil blow out after riding the bike for days with no problem. is it more likely the pressure relief valve next to the ball check is screwed up, or does this problem sound familiar to anyone?. i recently did an oil change and since then the problems have started, no problems before that for a year. im no real mechanic and i was hopin it was something simple before i take it in. any suggestion?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: ball check valve

My buddy just frogged his fatboy with this same deal..... he did the first oil change this year and obviously some oil had drained past the check ball this Winter and he overfilled it, (bunch of oil in the case).... she was blowin' oil everywhere... had to redrain everything, including the case and start again.... now it has a funny vibration.... not sure yet what he frogged.I would drain everything, including the case, and measure what you get....... my bet is you get more than you are supposed to have in there. Luck, man!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: hoofnhog
my bet is you get more than you are supposed to have in there. Luck, man!
+1, its not uncommon to put too much oil in accidentally. That's why when you change the oil only put in 2.5 quarts. Then run the engine for a few minutes and recheck it. You'll often find that it either regesters full or damnclose to it.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 PM
dsdamaged
3rd Gear

thanks, thing is, i forgot to mention right after the oil change one of the hoses (the non pressurized one running from the filter to the crankcase) popped off and ran almost all the oil out of the bike. i re-attatched it and put a clamp on it and put oil back in. a week later was the first time the oil came out the breather hose, i used a new turkey baster and drained out some oil thinkin it might be over full, everything ok for about a week and then again day before yesterday after riding all day, right as i pulled into the garage it soaks my tire again and the tank reads at the add level. it seems the longer it runs or higher the rpms is when it happens which makes me think maybe the pressure relief valve might be open, at any rate i think ill drain the whole thing and pop both valves to see if i can spot something. i just hate to invest in a whole new oil pump if its merely one of those two valves. it just seems odd there was nothing wrong with it at all prior to the oil change, although im pretty certain i initially put too much oil back in the first time. thanks for your advice i do appreciate the input. 79 softail custom S&S100 baker six pm brakes thunderheader exhaust

Fixed your pic for you.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM
dsdamaged
3rd Gear