Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008 | 11:26 PM
cptrad
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Rear Suspension

All other HD bikes and most other production bikes have suspended rear fenders, meaning the rear tire moves in relation to the rear fender. This means the rear fender is typically 4, 5or6 inches higher than the rear tire while the bike is at rest. When the rear end hits a bump, the rear tire moves closer to the rear fender, and "bottoms out" an inch orless from contacting the fender.

The rear fender on the Rocker is "slammed", meaning the tire to fender distance is an inch or lessregardless of the suspension position. The rear fender moves in conjunction with the rear tire. So where does the space come for suspension travel? That space comes between the fender and the seat. That blank space between theseat and fenderthat so many people complain about while the bike is at restis actually the room required for a suspended, but "slammed" fender. When the rear suspension is fullycompressed, there is much less space between the seat and fender than while the bike is at rest.

I hear so many complaints on this and other threads, and in response to those seeing my bike, that it becomes an issue of education. Yes, if I wanted a "hardtail" rear suspension, the seat to fender gap could be eliminated while keeping a "slammed" fender. But I'm in my late 40s and would not consider riding a hardtail. The Rocker gives the look of a hardtail, but the ride of a softail. That's the beauty of the design. It is not a flaw or a shortcoming... it wasintegral to the design.

If someone wants to ride a different modelsoftail(or dyna, or touring bike) that looks like a million other softails (or dynas, or touring bikes) that is their choice. Yes the tins might be painted different, they might have certain parts chromed, or additional add ons. But they are still riding a softail (or dyna, or touring bike) that looks like a million other softails (or dynas, or touring bikes.)

The Rocker will never be confused with any other model of H-D. So many times I see a bike and I have to look at the suspension, the tank, the seat, andthe front end to determine the model (because they are all basically the same.)

To me the Rocker is as close as I can get to a custom bike, that can be serviced at every H-D dealer in the world. It's the best of both worlds.

2008 Pacific Blue Rocker C
Custom pegs, grips, pedals& fork bag.
D&M Custom Cycle Chrome "Spear" Intake, V&H Big Radius, Gib's bracket and SERT paid for and waiting delivery.

Old 04-27-2008 | 12:39 AM
Apostle
Advanced
Default RE: Rocker Rear Suspension

Yeah, ok... Your Rocker is "unique." Here's a hint, the Deuce didn't look like any other HD model. The Fat Boy doesn't look like any other... There's nothing special about your bike other than an awkward gap between the seat/fender and a long line of production issues.

Old 04-27-2008 | 12:41 AM
willyplumberboy
Intermediate

Preach it Brother!!

Old 04-27-2008 | 12:57 AM
souljah
Cruiser

right on man to be true i dont know what all the gassing is about i havent herd one person who has a rocker go off so why dont all these moans start on their own bikes and all the faults they have and let us rocker boy do the same

Old 04-27-2008 | 02:27 AM
fastcash0523
Cruiser

How about having a rocker forum??

Old 04-27-2008 | 03:02 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

CPTRAD, I have to agree with you. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Rocker, but I don't understand why everyone here feels the need to bash the bike. Those of you that don't like it, don't buy it!!! It's that simple.It seems every Rocker thread has someone on it, that has to tell the world why they don't likethe Rocker. Heres a news flash, NO ONE CARES!!! Ride what you like and keep your opinions to your self. (yeah Apostle, this is aimed at you and the rest of the HDF members who feel the need to bash on someone elses bike).I thinka Rocker forum would be great for you guys.Ride on!!!!

Old 04-27-2008 | 03:17 AM
brianp25
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree no need to bash someone else's bike. sometimes i wish i knew about the rocker before i bought a fatboy, there's a good chance i woulda waited.

Old 04-27-2008 | 03:35 AM
BlackDragon
Tourer

Now this is not pointed at anyone.

I have riden lots of different bikes.
I have been given comments about the type of bike etc etc as the rocker gets now.

The only difference I can see is I didn't care.
It was the type of bike I choose to ride at that time.
I enjoyed it. who cares what other people thought.

If you have a Rocker be happy with it but don't preach to everyone else how great it is as I think at times U are just trying to convince your selves what a great bike they are and U made the right decision.

We are all different like our bikes.
This is what is importantant.

If I can't say I don't like Rockers or I don't like Baggers etc etc than we would be poorer for it.

Ride Free and enjoy the moment as it may end tomorrow.

Old 04-27-2008 | 03:48 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

BlackDragon, you make a good point. Everyone needs to just ride and stop worring about what each other thinks. Buy what ya like and ride the snot out of it!!!

Old 04-27-2008 | 04:01 AM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rant on ..... rant off ... get over it

Quick Reply: Rocker Rear Suspension